FCCLA State Leadership Conference

This is the new FCCLA state officer team. Everyone is a new officer except for Olivia Humphrey (red dress) who was a state officer last year too.

The Lewis Cass FCCLA chapter took nine members to conference and six of them competed in a STAR Event; STAR Event stands for students taking action with recognition. A STAR Event is a competition that a member can take to nationals if a person wins their category. Baylie Bryan and Alexis Goltz competed in Focus on Children, Makayla Thompson competed in Advocacy, Megan Dishon competed in Career Investigation, Addison Wagoner competed in Recycle and Redesign, and I competed in Fashion Construction.

Alexis Goltz said, “I loved the experience and would love to go back next year.”

Lewis Cass had a very successful year. Four members qualified for nationals in Nashville, Tennessee. Megan, Addison, Makayla, and I all qualified for nationals. We are all very excited to be able to represent our school at a national conference.

Megan Dishon said, “My favorite part of state conference was being able to be the voting delegate for our school and of course making it to nationals!!!”

Last week I attended the FCCLA State Leadership Conference (SLC) with eleven other members and many exciting things happened. FCCLA stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. Through FCCLA, members develop many new leadership skills and learn all about the Family as a basic unit of life. In fact, FCCLA is the only CTSO (career and technical student organizations) that has its central focus on the family. Some competitions in FCCLA include culinary arts, fashion design, toys that teach, and job interview. Many competitions are relating to Family and Consumer Sciences.

I had the amazing opportunity of running for a state office. In FCCLA the organization is run completely by high school students. Our state and national officers are all required to be enrolled in a full academic school year. The State Officer Candidates (SOCs) had to go through many interviews and tests. It all started in January. The SOCs had to take a knowledge test and pass with at least an 80%. Next the SOCs had two interviews. One interview was over a membership campaign and the other interview was about the answers on your writing portion of the test. Depending on a person’s scores and answers, they could continue to the next stage. The SOCs who passed the test and interviews continued on to the SLC where I gave speeches and more interviewing.

It was stressful at times but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It has been the best experience I have gotten so far. I have gained leadership skills just from the interview process and throughout the upcoming year I will learn so much more. I am lucky enough to also get a state office. I am serving as the State FCCLA Vice President of District Coordination.

As a state officer I will be expected to be the face of Indiana FCCLA. The State Executive Council (state officers) have many, many rules to follow, including a curfew! I will be expected to travel the state to attend district meetings and parties. I will also try to increase district attendance and overall increase membership. I am so excited for the upcoming year, but I wouldn’t be able to accomplish this without the help of my chapter and advisor.

1 Comment

One Response to “FCCLA State Leadership Conference”

1. Lilith Jay on April 9th, 2017 6:10 pm

This was super informative about a school activity. I had no idea that FCCLA did conferences… I think this is so awesome that underclassmen get to experience something so big. Thanks for the informative article!

*

• FCCLA State Leadership Conference

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Scholarship Night

• FCCLA State Leadership Conference

Courier Top News Stories

Ryan’s Recycling Company

• FCCLA State Leadership Conference

Courier Top News Stories

A Life Saving Addition to the Golden Gate Bridge

• FCCLA State Leadership Conference

Courier Top News Stories

MLB Welcomes a New Call System

• Courier Top News Stories

The New GOP Medicare Plan

• FCCLA State Leadership Conference

Courier Top News Stories

Lights Out Lewis Cass

• Courier Top News Stories

America: A Country Divided

• FCCLA State Leadership Conference

Courier Top News Stories

Help still needed in Delphi murder investigation

• Courier Top News Stories

Changes for Galveston and Thompson

• FCCLA State Leadership Conference

Courier Top News Stories

Changes at Lewis Cass

FCCLA State Leadership Conference