Filed under Student Life

First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

Prom is such a big deal here in the U.S. When I still was in Germany, I always saw in movies and series how important prom night was. Even though I knew my prom would not be like in a movie, I was still really excited about it.

In Germany we don’t really have a prom. If you are in twelfth/thirteenth grade, you can go to something like a graduation dance where your friends and family can go to also. But the graduation dance in Germany is not comparable to prom here in the U.S. Nobody makes a big deal out of the dance, and it is also more of a way to celebrate your graduation with your family. So, I was really eager to experience an American prom.

The first thing to do was of course getting ready which my host mom was a huge help with. I’ve never dressed up for anything this much in my whole life, and I honestly can’t think of any reason why I would ever again. When I was about to be picked up, I got really excited. I didn’t realize it until I tried to get my earrings on and couldn’t because my hands were shaking.

After taking a few pictures with my friend Matt who was my date, we finally were on our way. Matt asked everyone in the car if we had our tickets when I realized I had not. So, we had to drive back, but of course my host parents had already left for a trip to Kokomo and I also forgot my key. So, we had to drive to my host mom’s mother who had an extra key and back.

After we ate with a bigger group at Olive Garden, we finally went to prom. I loved it! Accept for the crammed dance floor, everything was awesome, and I had so much fun. I loved talking and dancing together with my friends, and I especially liked the possibility to go upstairs and to be outdoors to have some fresh air. I was really sad when the dance was over, but luckily I had plans after prom.

I went with my friend Brittany to Steak ‘n Shake and she dropped me off at home around 2 a.m. After that Jason, McKenna, Jordan, and her boyfriend picked me up because we would be having a sleep-over at Jason’s house. Before that we went to Steak ‘n Shake again which I didn’t know that that was the plan, otherwise I probably would have eaten somewhere else first.

Around 5 a.m. we then once and for all went to bed. When I woke up and realized that all the fun was really over now, I just didn’t want to go home. Just then I got a text from my friend Aisha who invited a couple of people over to watch movies all day. It was the perfect way to finish this great weekend.

2 Responses to “First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life”

1. Kylie Quaglio on May 15th, 2017 10:09 am

I am so happy that you had the opportunity to come over here and enjoy this with us. Great article! I hope you continue to make memories like these.

2. Josie Woolever on May 22nd, 2017 10:32 am

I am so glad you were able to have the opportunity to experience an American prom. Great job on the article!

*

• Impact Teachers

Impact Teacher Essay- Mr. Krug

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

Impact Teacher Essay- Mr. Engle

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

My Impact Teacher- Ms. Roller

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

Galveston Color Run

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

The Closing of a Chapter

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

Head Start Health Fair

• Student Life

The Best Time of the Year

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

Time To Say Goodbye

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

J

• First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

Here Comes Goodbye

First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life