Filed under Student Life

Time To Say Goodbye

I can’t really realize it just yet, but my time here in the U.S. is almost over. I only have one week of school left, graduation and that was it. What does that mean? It means that I’m happy, excited, super sad, and panicking at the same time. My organization says these emotions are normal, but that doesn’t make it easier.

Of course, I’m excited to go home; my family and friends that I haven’t seen in a year are waiting for me. So, why wouldn’t I be? Furthermore, I’m happy that lots of things will be as I used to know them. Plenty of stuff just bothers me a lot, and I’m glad I don’t have to stand it much longer. For example, I’m excited for German food. I don’t want to hurt any cook’s feelings, but food here is in general very greasy and I find it hard to find something that isn’t. The food usually just doesn’t make me feel good and gives me stomach aches. I’m just really thrilled for all the German bread that’s waiting for me.

On the other hand, I’m so sad that I have to leave so soon. It always takes me a year until I feel completely comfortable in a new surrounding. So, that’s what happened just recently. I really feel comfortable here; I consider it my new home. Also, the thought that I will see all my friends again was a big help when I was leaving Germany. Now I don’t know if I’ll ever see the friends I made here again. Even though I’m planning on coming back after I graduate in Germany, I don’t know if they haven’t moved away yet. And I know I will miss all of them so much.

The reason why I’m panicking is for one that I don’t know if my friends in Germany are still the same or if I’m still the same. I mean, it has been about eleven months and it wouldn’t be odd if we all changed in that time. So, I’m scared that I just will not get along with them anymore.

I also got lazy with lots of other things. Because I’m an exchange student, I just don’t have to do many things because I will be gone soon anyway, so nobody expects me to do them. Additionally, my host parents have spoiled me a lot to make my year as great as possible. I know I will find it hard to go back to my old routine.

Another thing I find depressing is that I know I will miss so many things I don’t even recognize now. When I came here, I realized how many things I took for granted in Germany and didn’t appreciate enough like always having healthy food around or the possibility of public transportation. So, I know that I will go back and realize how many things I didn’t acknowledge and enjoy enough.

I loved my time here and I wouldn’t change a thing. I appreciate everything I learned and I’m thankful for my experiences. I especially appreciate the people I got to know and to have been a part of their lives. I hate saying goodbye so much, but I guess I don’t have a choice right now. So, goodbye everybody.

3 Responses to “Time To Say Goodbye”

1. Kirstyn Kiger on May 16th, 2017 10:04 am

I am so glad that you were able to come to the United States and have a wonderful experience! I hope you can come back and visit us again! Wishing you safe travels and a happy reunion with your family. Great article!

2. Mari Karmel on May 18th, 2017 1:45 pm

We loved having you in America with us! I think everyone should take the opportunity to see new places and experience their way of life. Great article!

3. Lucy Wagoner on May 22nd, 2017 8:39 am

It is so great you had such an awesome time in the U.S. and we would love to see you back in the states again some time! I hope your journey home is safe and I’m sure your friends in Germany will be super excited to see you again. Great article!

*

• Impact Teachers

Impact Teacher Essay- Mr. Krug

• Time To Say Goodbye

Impact Teacher Essay- Mr. Engle

• Time To Say Goodbye

My Impact Teacher- Ms. Roller

• Time To Say Goodbye

Galveston Color Run

• Time To Say Goodbye

The Closing of a Chapter

• Time To Say Goodbye

Head Start Health Fair

• Student Life

The Best Time of the Year

• Time To Say Goodbye

J

• Time To Say Goodbye

Here Comes Goodbye

• Time To Say Goodbye

First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

Time To Say Goodbye