Filed under Student Life

Head Start Health Fair

Not only KACC students participated, IUK health students were also helping the young students get health check-ups.

Head Start, commonly known as Darrough Chapel, is an early learning center for preschool aged children. Each year Head Start is given grants to fund the program which teaches young aged children to read and write. Head Start is similar to a preschool, however it’s apart of the Kokomo School Corporation and teaches the children how to read and write prior to kindergarten. Since Head Start is apart of the Kokomo School Corporation, it provides the kids with transportation to and from the school.

Since the early learning center relies heavily on grants, the children are required to get cerian check-ups before starting school. Each year the school holds a health fair where families can get all the necessary check-ups needed to start school for free. The children have to get dental, eye, and general check-ups.

A dentist from the LADD Dental Group let three dental students assist him. The other three were able to help the other dentist. Two dentists were applying fluoride and I lucky enough to assist one of them. I assisted in many different ways. I put protective covers on the child, and helped the child rinse after the profy exam. I also disinfected the dental chair when the child was done. Unfortunately, I was not legally allowed to provide any services to the child (because of the grant). Even with the restrictions, I had a great experience.

One of my classmates said, “I will never become a pediatric dentist. It was exhausting just watching the dentist handle all those crazy kids.”

It was very exhausting to watch the students, BUT I did enjoy seeing them with so much energy. Another classmate said, “I LOVED working with the little kids! It was so much fun handling all the children.”

Luckily, I never got bit or spit on, but for the dentist that was a different story. I did have to deal with MANY screaming and crying children, but I just did my best to calm them down. I have never understood why children are so afraid of the dentist. Most pediatric dentists and orthodontists don’t keep any needles in the office they work in. I reminded them if they got their exam I would give them a goody bag! After all, the dentist only counted and cleaned the child’s teeth! He didn’t have any dental instruments with him, but the children still seemed to be afraid of him.