Filed under Showcase

Lewis Cass 7th Graders Win 1st in State Wide Competition

How would you like to go from having $10,000 to $99,000 in just a matter of three months? I know it sounds pretty fantastic to me, and that’s just what eight 7th graders from Lewis Cass did. They participated in the Stock Market Game, a state wide competition, where both teams started off with $10,000 to invest in any company or stock they wanted.

Ms. Emily Smith, the teacher of this course, had eight 7th grade students get recognized for winning 1st and 2nd place in the Stock Market Game. They were recognized at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University along with the other state winners. The game was split up into three different age groups; elementary, middle, and high school. Each group had the opportunity to participate in either the fall, spring, or the year long game; both of Ms. Smith’s groups participated in the fall. Students from all over the state of Indiana participated.

Ms. Smith had two groups go to this banquet to get recognized. Her first place team was made up of Zida Campos, Tristin Miller, Jacob Harris, and Adam Bandelier. Her second place team was then made up of Gannon Davis, Cana Jones, Nick Pencek, and Jocelyn Radtke. As I talked to them on the bus ride down to Bloomington, none of them had any experience of knowing anything about the stock market before starting the game. They said that they had just learned as they went through the game. I had asked one student from each team if they were surprised they won, what their initial response was to the game, and their strategies for the game; their answers are as followed.

From the first place team I talked to Tristin Miller; he said he was a little bit surprised that they won since they knew nothing before now. He said that he thought the game was interesting and was fun because they got out of class work to work on it. When I asked about their strategy, he said they didn’t really have a strategy, but that they just invested in companies they liked and that were doing well.

From the second place team I talked to Jocelyn Radtke; she said she was very surprised they did as well as they did. She said she found the game interesting because it was different from things she’d done before. When asked about their team’s strategy, she said they invested in companies that were low in price, but that were increasing in the stock market. I also talked to Ms. Smith and asked her if she was shocked that her teams had won and done so well; she said, “Yes, because I had never done that specific challenge with middle school, and that they did so well was a very pleasant surprise.”

I think it’s really interesting that they didn’t know anything about the stock market when they started, yet they did so well and learned so much from it. I barely even knew what a stock was before going with them to get recognized, but now that I know more about it, I find it quite interesting and may invest into the stock market when I get older and have the money to do it.