Filed under Student Life

The Closing of a Chapter

The same old story told a million times. The closing of one door and opening of another. This is the story I’m currently going through. I never thought I’d actually make it. Finally finishing high school and receiving my diploma to freedom. I’ve seen may hand out their open house cards, walk across that stage, and finish high school, but I never thought it would happen to me. Until it did. I didn’t think about the ending of all my sports. Until it ended. I didn’t think about living in the real world. Until I was standing right in the middle of it confused on what to do first. Last Tuesday, my final high school sport ended and that’s when I realized it’s happening. I’m not coming back, and my life will be altered forever. Instead of cowering away, I’m walking towards life without fear of what will happen.

At the beginning of the year, I still never imagined myself as a graduate. I didn’t think high school would actually end. Then, I had my last Homecoming week. I played my last powder puff game and helped host the Variety Show. Coming up with the Variety Show was stressful but also fun and rewarding. Hearing everyone laugh at the skits and jokes reassured me that we all did a good job. This was my first, “major” last of my senior year.

My next “major” last was cheering for the Kings at the sectionals basketball game. As most of you know, cheering was a major part of my life. Even typing the word “was” is hard. So, when the final seconds of the scoreboard ticked down my stomach began to stop. I wasn’t thinking about anything else but winning the game. But, the final buzzer went off and the season was over. I’ll save all of the gory details, which aren’t actually gory but sad. Looking back on it now, I truly wouldn’t change a thing. I loved to cheer and I will miss it, but I know other great things will fill the void that cheerleading left and my life will go on happily.

Now, I have one final to finish and all of my ties to Lewis Cass are over. Yes, I have to come back for graduation, but even if I bomb this next final I’ll still pass. So, I know I’ll graduate from Lewis Cass. The next time I walk out of Cass it’ll be real. Everything I’ve known will be over and it’ll be time for me to grow up. I’ve had many great memories at Cass, but I’m ready for the next step and Purdue is the perfect next step for me.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Closing of a Chapter”

1. Lanie Miller on May 25th, 2017 8:14 am

This is a really good article Jael, and very true. I feel the same way I see everyone around me going through all of these things for graduation and it feels like it won’t ever happen to me. Great job!

*

• Impact Teachers

Impact Teacher Essay- Mr. Krug

• The Closing of a Chapter

Impact Teacher Essay- Mr. Engle

• The Closing of a Chapter

My Impact Teacher- Ms. Roller

• The Closing of a Chapter

Galveston Color Run

• The Closing of a Chapter

Head Start Health Fair

• Student Life

The Best Time of the Year

• The Closing of a Chapter

Time To Say Goodbye

• The Closing of a Chapter

J

• The Closing of a Chapter

Here Comes Goodbye

• The Closing of a Chapter

First, Last, and Best Prom of My Life

The Closing of a Chapter