Filed under Student Life

Impact Teacher Essay- Mr. Engle

In the photo are two of Mr. Engle's AP English students who selected him this year: Shadd McLochlin  and Savanna Thompson. Both were honored at the Latin Honors Banquet on Sunday., May 21.  Not in the photo- Olivia Johnson

In the photo are two of Mr. Engle's AP English students who selected him this year: Shadd McLochlin and Savanna Thompson. Both were honored at the Latin Honors Banquet on Sunday., May 21. Not in the photo- Olivia Johnson

I never really “clicked” with any of my teachers- none of them were my coach or my field of interest. English definitely wasn’t my thing; I used to skim read, pretend to understand my grammar mistakes, and wait until the night before to cram study my vocabulary until I found a certain teacher who was uniquely different. The first time I sat in Mr. Engle’s ninth grade class I thought he had lost his voice for the first day of school because unlike most teachers, he had a soft spoken, normal conversation voice. I am very soft spoken and quiet myself so I guess one could say we got off on the right foot from the first day forward other than the fact that I soon found unlike other teachers, Mr. Engle is actually a crazy English lover who is passionate about his job. To be honest, I am not sure he ever really “clocks out.” He is the ONLY teacher I know who can grade a whole day’s worth of essays the same day they are turned in. Nor have I ever had a teacher who is so willing to work with my busy schedule. Before school, during school, after school, Mr. Engle is willing to help. I think putting your whole heart into what you do is important, and the fact that Mr. Engle is typically at school before a delay is even called is true dedication.

To my complete surprise, English has become my favorite subject solely because of Mr. Engle. I found I love to write after he convinced me to take his newspaper course, even though some of my papers were so marked up with grammar corrections it looked as though Mr. Engle had bled all over some of them. I wrote for the school newspaper and took advanced English courses with Mr. Engle for three years all of which I enjoyed. Who knew I would eventually laugh at Mr. Engle’s comma rule and rhetorical strategy jokes instead of them flying right over my head and result in me laughing nervously in hopes he would not call on me in class? But I really feel that all the crazy, stressful work and effort Mr. Engle has required for his courses have better prepared me for the real world.

I cannot say I always enjoyed learning how to become more work efficient, but I am now capable of being handed a list of compiled assignments and meeting their contiguous deadlines. And although I may never be an English major, while most people’s worst nightmare is writing a research paper, I am I confident that I can type up a well written, sophisticated document if ever need be, and I have experience to take on a large workload whether in college or in my career.

Mr. Engle has truly been a blessing to my education in teaching me these valuable lessons. Even when I simply needed to express my ideas and plans for the future, Mr. Engle was a listening ear. And he never fell short giving gracious and encouraging advice. I could write the worst essay or do horribly on a test, and he would somehow review the trashworthy work with me making it sound as though that work was insignificant compared to the majority of my work. He constantly reminded me of how far I had come and how great my work had improved. Outside of the classroom, Mr. Engle even made it a point to ask and stay updated with all the sports I played. He made it a point to attend at least a couple basketball games a year, and he would always be the first to compliment and encourage me in that aspect of my life as well because he knew how much sports meant to me. Not only did I have a friend in Mr. Engle whose humor made the stress load a little lighter, but I also had a mentor to show me what it looks like to stay focused, on task, and passionate about what I do.