My Impact Teacher- Ms. Roller

-Going through our educational journeys, we come across teachers that not only touch our minds, but they touch our hearts. Ms. Roller has been my favorite teacher ever since I received a yellow page in the mail that compared her classroom to a pirate ship and said we would go through the journey of second grade together. Choosing Ms. Roller as my impact teacher did not prove a difficult choice because she has been a huge supporter and encourager in my educational endeavors, and she showed me how to be a compassionate and passionate individual.

Ms. Roller reminded me of an infomercial that kept adding exclusive deals because she continuously got better. I have a whole binder at my house full of memories from just my second grade year. Our trucker and reading buddy, our Monarch butterflies, and our luau themed party all remain great memories that helped me create wonderful friendships with my classmates. Her interactive lesson plans and engaging personality helped her students fall in love with learning. She always seemed to be pushing her students to be inquisitive and be themselves. School turned into something fun and exciting rather than a mandatory chore. With her obvious passion for school, Ms. Roller helped her students gain the same enthusiasm for education.

Ms. Roller taught lessons that enabled students to excel in life. She taught communication with her dynamic classroom setting and lessons on culture that remain not so readily available in Cass County such as teaching her students how to say “domo arigato” which means “thank you very much” in Japanese. Ms. Roller always wanted to go the extra mile for her students. Her passion for school rubbed off on me significantly and helped me develop a love for education that has continued to my high school years. For instance, English never stood as my favorite subject in grade school; however, Ms. Roller had a way of turning weaknesses into strengths and helped develop my love for reading which made me gain a love for English. This has encouraged me to excel in advanced courses and gain college credit.

Even though Ms. Roller helped build my foundation in school, she remains so special because she helped develop me as a person. She has been someone I have written numerous essays over because she left such a profound imprint on my life. To have a passion for my job and the individuals in my life such as Ms. Roller remains something for which I strive. She wanted to nurture the minds of children but also wished to develop her students as individuals. Ms. Roller always lit up the room and made everyday joyous; her students never felt neglected because she always made time for them. I remember sitting in the treehouse or the hammock after school and reading while I waited for my basketball practice to begin, and the memory seems so simplistic yet precious to me.

Ms. Roller showed me how to live life fully and take advantage of everyday. Do not just live life but experience life because it remains a journey we all must undertake together. Ms. Roller basked in the sun rather than complaining of the rocky waters which inspired her students to do the same. The lessons she instilled in me have helped me live the best life I could thus far. She taught me to be a positive aspect in the lives of others, never stop asking “why?”, and never sell myself short.