The History of Indiana Basketball

The History of Indiana Basketball

Pictured above are the 1981 NCAA Champions, the Indiana Hoosiers

What do you think of when hearing the word Indiana? Some people might think of the Indianapolis 500 or corn fields over and over. When I hear the word Indiana, I immediately say “basketball.”

Basketball has always been a huge priority in my family. My dad, grandpa, great grandpa, all of their children, and myself have always had the urge to play basketball whether it be in a park, at school, or on a gravel driveway. When my grandpa was a sophomore in high school, he and four other buddies played basketball in a haymow. I have played basketball since the day I began to walk. I first played at the YMCA in Logansport, then at the Carver center in Kokomo, and now I’m playing on the high school level.

My family has always been huge IU fans because both my mom and dad graduated from Indiana University in Bloomington. When IU basketball is on TV, you can always count on our eyes to be glued to the TV.

Indiana basketball was at its prime during the 1980-1981 year when they were led by Ted Kitchel, a former Lewis Cass graduate. Kitchel averaged 19.2 PPG, 4.9 RPG, and 1.9 APG. He also shot 53% from the field, and shot 87.4% from the free throw line. Other standouts from the 1980-1981 team were Randy Wittman, Isaiah Thomas, Ray Tolbert, Landon Turner, and Jim Thomas. During the 1980-1981 season the Hoosiers went 14-4 in the Big Ten and went 26-9 on the year.

The IU men’s basketball team currently has a record of 15-9 overall and they are ranked 7th in the Big Ten with a record of 5-6, and are currently coached by Tom Crean. The Hoosiers have had a tough year losing James Blackmon Jr and Collin Hartman to start off the season and now losing OG Anunoby due to an ankle injury.

Another huge piece of Indiana Basketball history is Bobby Knight’s famous throwing of the chair. During the huge rivalry game of Purdue on February 23, 1985, Indiana’s coach Bobby Knight’s emotions got out of hand. He then got a chair from the bench and threw it across the floor. Bobby Knight has and will always be remembered as a great coach and throwing the chair. He also has took his teams to three national championships during his 29 years of coaching at Indiana and was the last coach to take a team to a undefeated season.

If anyone wants to see a great basketball movie, watch the movie “Hoosiers.” Hoosiers is a 1986 film starring Gene Hackman, the coach of the Hickory High School basketball team. This great movie has always been one of my favorite movies because it shows that anyone can overcome something if you give effort. Robert Ebert said,  “I covered mostly high school sports, and if I were a sportswriter again, I’d want to cover them again. There is a passion to high school sports that transcends anything that comes afterward; nothing in pro sports equals the intensity of a really important high school basketball game.”

Indiana basketball has a lot of history from the past and a lot to come in the future. Indiana basketball is something special to many “Hoosiers.” The Hoosiers are looking to defeat some ranked teams this year and in years to come. Indiana basketball is something special to myself as well as my family and friends.