Filed under Showcase

Head Start Dental Day

Nicole Erny, Junior at Kokomo HS, and Keyerstyn Young, Junior at Lewis Cass, pose for a picture with the

Nicole Erny, Junior at Kokomo HS, and Keyerstyn Young, Junior at Lewis Cass, pose for a picture with the "tooth fairy". We were asked to wear scrubs to show the kids not all dentists and doctors are scary just because of their clothes. My teacher also had a tooth fairy and toothbrush costume two students wore for the day.

Do you know how to wash your hands the right way? I hope that if a person is in high school or older they know how to wash hands correctly, but the three and four year olds at Darrough Chapel Preschool (Head Start) do not. The first and second dental year students from the Kokomo Area Career Center attended Dental Day at Head Start to teach preschoolers all there is to know about nutrition, flossing, toothbrushing, and handwashing.

A group leader would gather all the kids together and teach them about why dentists wear what they do such as masks, gloves, and protective eyewear. As the kids were learning about the protective clothing, others members in the “team” would set up activity stations. One station was the nutrition and flossing station. The kids were taught about the healthy and unhealthy foods. They could play a variety of games in this station including one where the preschoolers stood side by side with food in between them. Two kids would have to floss the food out just like food in between teeth. The kids would then rotate to different station.

Another activity set up was about toothbrushing. The kids learned how to brush their teeth and other information necessary to toothbrushing. We also had a fun activity with this station. I taught this in one room and after I said how many times a day a person should brush their teeth, a little kid said “My mom doesn’t let me brush my teeth.” I was surprised he just blurted that out but he also showed me ALL his silver teeth. It appeared as if he had baby bottle mouth syndrome as a child. Baby bottle tooth decay happened when natural sugars or sweeten liquids stay on an infant’s teeth for a long time. An example is if a baby gets fed formula and the caretaker does not brush the infant’s teeth soon afterwards.

Handwashing may not seem like something dental students should teach, but handwashing is actually the first thing we are taught at the career center. We even have to pass a test! The school nurse told Ms. Wetekamp, our dental teacher, the students were not washing their hands that well. All the kids were getting sick and passing it along so we decided to teach every single kid how to wash their hands. The kids first learned the motions and a fun song to go along. Then each kid washed their hands with their new song and hand motions.

The last station we taught was an activity station. Each kid made a mouth; the mouth was a red paper plate (cut in half) and a popsicle stick. The preschoolers each had a choice of the mouth they wanted to glue on. The kids loved the activity and each student got an activity book with different coloring pages and fun worksheets to work on at home.
Overall, I loved teaching the kids all about dental health. I had so much fun working with the little kids. They loved having us too! I had to dress up as the tooth fairy and one child hugged me and said she was sad I had to leave.

4 Responses to “Head Start Dental Day”

1. Elisa Novoa on March 3rd, 2017 9:23 am

I wish I would have had fun activities like those as a kid to learn how to brush my teeth correctly or to wash hands. I like how you described every activity and included things you learned at the career center too. Great article!

2. Mari Karmel on March 6th, 2017 1:59 pm

These kids sound like they had a great time and learned a lot! Good hygiene is so important I’m happy to see kids learning what to do and what not to do at a young age! Great article!

3. Olivia Salyers on March 7th, 2017 1:45 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun! I agree that it was an awesome opportunity to teach kids about their hygiene, and I’m sure they were more apt to listen when it came from the tooth fairy. Great article!

4. McKayla Ramsey on March 10th, 2017 1:38 pm

It’s great that you had the chance to teach kids about simple hygiene with everyone being so sick this winter! I’m sure dressing up like the tooth fairy was sort of silly but the kids must have loved it. Great article!

*

• Head Start Dental Day

Showcase

Kings’ Cast 10-13-17

• Head Start Dental Day

News

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

• Head Start Dental Day

Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

• Head Start Dental Day

Courier Top Sports Article

My Last Round

• Head Start Dental Day

Showcase

Launch Into Leadership

• Head Start Dental Day

Courier Top Sports Article

Swimming: A Mental Sport

• Head Start Dental Day

Sports

The Calm Before the Storm

• Uncategorized

KingsCast 9-13-17

• Head Start Dental Day

Courier Top Opinion Article

Fight for Equality

• Head Start Dental Day

Lewis Cass Grad Touches the Sky

Head Start Dental Day