Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The Ultimate Guide to Surviving High School

Congratulations! You have finished all of elementary school, middle school, junior high, or whatever else your school may call it. You just went from being the oldest in the school to being the youngest, and that change is going to be hard for some of you to handle. Your parents and older siblings are going to tell you that high school is going to go by fast, but I guarantee you will roll your eyes and walk away. When you walk into high school on the first day of school, it is going to be like walking into a foreign country. Don’t run away just yet. You are in for the ride of your life, and I can promise you that these next four years are going to be the best.

1. If you are interested in an extracurricular activity, join it – High school is a time to find your true self and to explore new interests and hobbies. With an abundance of clubs and sports, it can be challenging to know which one to try first. My advice to you would be to try as many as possible! You never know what talents and interests you have been shying away from.
  2. Do not be concerned about your physical appearance – I can promise you that nobody is going to notice if you are having a bad hair day or if you messed up your winged eyeliner. Everyone around you is too busy focusing on his/her own self to be worried about how you look. If you want to wear a dress everyday, go for it! If you want to wear leggings and a hoodie all the time, go for it! High school is not a runway for the best and upcoming fashion. As long as you feel comfortable and confident in your clothing, then you are good to go.
  3. Listen to your parents’ advice – Newsflash, they were once in high school and know how brutal it can be. Your parents will have your best interest at heart, and they are willing to help you through every obstacle. Stop letting your attitude and hormones control you. Your parents are there to help you, and I can promise you that you will learn a lot by listening to them. They will end up repeating themselves again and again, but the  advice they are giving you is worth listening to. Stop for just a second, and listen to what they have to say.
  4. Participate in afterschool events – Some of the best memories you make in high school will not even be in the hallways. Standing in the bleachers with your best friends on a Friday night are about to become some of your favorite memories. You will not realize it now, but sitting in the cold and rain will be worth it. Football games will no longer be just another sporting event; they will become your favorite place to be. Participating in these events will allow you to make even more memories. You can handle a night away from studying, so go out and have some fun.
  5. Take pictures whenever and wherever you can – You will become annoyed and irritated whenever your mom asks for one more picture, but 20 years from now, you will be thanking her. These photographs are going to be the only thing you have to hold onto, so give your mom the pleasure of taking your picture one more time. It will not be the end of the world, and I promise, one more picture will not make you late to whatever event you are going to.

High school is going to be a roller coaster of emotions, but you are going to love every second of it. From experiencing your first heartbreak to experiencing your first prom, the journey you are about to embark on is unpredictable. Take it from me, a high school senior, the next four years of your life are going to go by so fast. Join the Spanish Club. Tryout for the football team. High school is what you make it, so now it is your chance to make it the best you possibly can.

4 Responses to “The Ultimate Guide to Surviving High School”

1. Josie Woolever on August 7th, 2017 2:17 pm

You did a great job with this! High school definitely does go by in a blink of an eye, and we don’t realize it until it’s too late. I wish I had someone tell me these things when I entered freshman year! Great job!

2. Holly Widner on August 8th, 2017 8:13 am

I absolutely love this article! I wish more students would know these guidelines. I completely agree that high school goes by so fast. I hope some of the underclassmen will follow these rules.

3. Morgan Miller on August 8th, 2017 8:54 am

Being a senior and reading this, I can vouch that all of this is true. High school seems to drag on forever and then all of the sudden you’re applying for college. I really enjoyed this article and wish I could have read it four years ago, good job!

4. jpric71 on August 19th, 2017 11:02 pm

I love this article. I especially like the appearance one. I do so many ridiculous things just for the fun of it. Sometimes it’s so much fun just to do weird stuff just for fun and maybe get a laugh or two.

*

• The Ultimate Guide to Surviving High School

Opinion

The Left-Hand “Touch”

• Opinion

Until It’s Gone

• Opinion

Out? In? What, You Don’t Know?

• Courier Top Opinion Article

Understanding The Connection

Courier Top Opinion Article

Being Bilingual Pays Off

Opinion

Invictus

Opinion

Drug Free is Key

Opinion

The Second Amendment Should Remain Untouched

Opinion

Why? Why? Why?

Opinion

Your Future is Key, So Stay Drug Free