Bonds at the Beach

This pictures includes all of the lifeguards from Kokomo Beach during our end of the year guard party.

Summer of 2017: sunburns, new friends, savings lives, and one beautiful beach. Now I know what you’re thinking how lucky is she, getting to spend her whole summer at a beach. Well, this is not the beach with high tides and white sands that you’re thinking of, but rather a much smaller and dingier, Kokomo Beach. If you haven’t been to Kokomo Beach, let me tell you, it’s an experience no one can quite explain. They trade the white sands for rough concrete and the high tides for a lazy river.

This summer, I fortunately became a lifeguard at Kokomo Beach and right off the bat I was excited but still nervous. I didn’t really know what to expect. I had heard stories about how fun all of the guards were from friends Maddy and Mari Karmel, but I also wasn’t too thrilled about working all summer either. I quickly realized becoming a lifeguard was one of the smartest decisions I had made in a long time.

Spending as much time at work as I did, I got to know my co-workers fairly well. To my favor, most of the guards were very easy going and had the same sense of humor as I do, which made work about one hundred times more enjoyable. Being one of the shortest guards and the only upcoming sophomore guard, I was the butt of many jokes from the college students and upperclassmen in high school, but I knew it was all in good humor. I was also fortunate enough to meet some of the closest friends I’ve ever had, including friends from Western, Northwestern, and Kokomo.

Being close to all of your co-workers meant hanging out a lot inside and outside of work. The further we got into the summer, the closer the guards became. Breaks were no longer awkward silences but now filled with jokes and races down the body slides. The more we learned about each other, the closer we realized we actually were. A girl and I finished within seconds of each other multiple times during the cross country season, the Western swim team remembered my bright yellow Croc rain boots, and many of our parents went to high school together, Go Hot Dogs! Whether it was half price Buffalo Wild Wings night or late night Steak ‘n Shake runs, we always just liked hanging out and being together. We ended the lifeguarding season with a bang as a handful of guards and I went cliff jumping together at White Rock Park. It was the experience of a lifetime and if I could give you one tip, don’t let go of the swinging rope too early.

As summer drew to an end and the days at Kokomo Beach were numbered, most guards were excited to be done working. I, too, was ecstatic to be done coming back to the same place everyday, but I knew I would miss all of the people I worked with. It is weird even now, a week later, not seeing these same people everyday, but thanks to snapchat and sporting events, we can keep in touch fairly easily! It is safe to say becoming a lifeguard was a good way to make new lifelong friends this summer.

8 Responses to “Bonds at the Beach”

1. Caleb Johnson on August 8th, 2017 12:51 pm

Hannah I liked your article because it truly relates to the benefits of working with friends at work. It makes work so much easier and it makes working not seem much like a job, and more like a hangout.

2. klewe90 on August 8th, 2017 12:55 pm

That was a great article! I love how you expressed the awkwardness at the start, but you alos managed to show how great of an experience it ended up being. You expressed great detail and a very positive voice! Great article!

3. Mason Young on August 8th, 2017 1:27 pm

Great article! I liked how you stated how you will not miss the work, but that you will miss the people. I enjoyed the detail of how close you were with the swimmer from Western. I also enjoy the shout out to Frankfort. Go Hot Dogs!

4. Lanie Miller on August 8th, 2017 1:35 pm

Great article Hannah! It was not only interesting, but fun to read about. I’m glad your summer went so well! Great job!

5. mdish72 on August 8th, 2017 1:52 pm

Great article! I loved how you got a chance to meet new people from different schools to become lifelong friends with! Jobs can be boring and hard at times, but the memories make the hard hours worth it. Glad to hear your summer went well!

6. Bspen52 on August 8th, 2017 8:05 pm

Amazing article Hannah! Meeting new people is always fun. Usually working all summer gets old, but not when you are having the time of your life with some of your best friends. I am glad you had a great summer and good luck on your sophomore year!

7. McKayla Ramsey on August 14th, 2017 8:25 am

It’s nice to see that you enjoyed work! Working can be such a drab most of the time but you took the opportunity to make new friends and have a lot of fun. Being a lifeguard somewhere else, I can tell you you got lucky with Kokomo Beach being so much fun! Great article!

8. cjoll79 on August 15th, 2017 8:09 pm

Hannah I really liked the story. I think it’s one of the best ones. So nice job, keep it up. I would want to work there but I would have no ride there.

*

• Bonds at the Beach

Technology, the fixing master

• Bonds at the Beach

The Dad He Didn’t Have to Be

• Bonds at the Beach

Nursing, The Healing Queen

• Bonds at the Beach

School Board Releases Construction Plans

• Bonds at the Beach

¡Bienvenido a América!

• Bonds at the Beach

Miracles All Around

• Bonds at the Beach

A Passage to the Pacific

• Bonds at the Beach

Going to Florida

• Bonds at the Beach

Indiana Dunes Trip

• Bonds at the Beach

Bruises come with paint ball

Bonds at the Beach