Growth Mindset:

What is it?

Growth Mindset. What is it?

According to my psychology packet, growth mindset is defined as “A mindset is an established way of thinking. It is a set of certain beliefs or a certain way of thinking that will determine your behavior outlook on life, and attitude toward the events, circumstances, and people around you.” Essentially, growth mindset is a belief that we can grow our personal intelligence through hard work and practice, not just one and not just the other, both. Growth mindset can be determined by trying hard, using the right strategies, and getting the help you need to accommodate any difficulties.

On my first day back at school as a senior, I walked into my sixth period psychology class. Thinking I was going to get yet another lecture about the school rules I’ve only had repeated to me seven times previously, little did I know I was going to fill out a student survey because I was in psychology, it only made sense to fill out a student survey about yourself. The purpose of the survey was to answer whether I strongly agree, agree, slightly agree, slightly disagree, or strongly disagree to a sum of ten statements. At the end of the survey I had to tally the amount of each response and multiple it by a number between 1 and 6. This was to help me tally out my score. My mindset score revealed to be 20. If you scored between 10 and 20, you were revealed to have a ‘strong growth mindset’. A strong growth mindset is when one can feel their intelligence with determination, hard work, and effort. You believe that smart and successful people had to work very hard to where they had gotten. You view mistakes and failure as learning opportunities. You learn through hard work and embrace difficult challenges.

I have honestly never been able to relate to something so much. Personally to me mindset is everything, I believe it’s what has shaped me into the person I currently am and will soon to be sometime down the road. I never see someone who has the best mindset as the most intelligent person in the world you can be top notch smart, but if your mindset isn’t right, then you won’t achieve what others are capable of achieving. Blaming everyone else except yourself for not achieving what you are capable of will not help you succeed as you wish to.

Failure is a permanent term yes; however, failure has shown me that even if I may not be the best at something for the first, second, or even third time, I can use failure as motivation to push myself. To me failure is seen as obstacles the more you practice obstacles, the greater chance you are to overcome them. The more I hike across a mountain, the easier it will be to climb. Life we know is a climb. Take the challenges and turn them into the conquered. Take failure and turn it into success. We all make mistakes in life but that does not define who we are. I may not be happy with some of the decisions that I’ve made, but I can definitely say I’ve become a better person and my mindset has grown learning from my mistakes.

Be you. Do you. For you.

If you were to ask me what motto do I set out for myself, this would be the one. Now I know this might sound a little cliché but apparently cliché can take you awhile away now a days. In the name mindset it’s kind of self explanatory that YOU follows the purpose. I believe as though priorities give off the vibe as to what kind of person you are. While I was growing up my parents and even family have always told me how my priorities should be lined up. First, my health, nothing is more important than to make sure my personal health is at its best. Second, family, without the support of my family I would not have made it as far in my life as I am today. Third, school, my education is what will get my career started and my future planned. Schooling will always be my first priority over sports and job. Fourth, my job, having a job as a high school student and athlete can be kind of infuriating but at this day and age it teaches me responsibility. I know that I will not always be able to rely on others when it comes to my needs and wants. Finally, social life, no matter if you believe yourself to be the social empire or social outcast, I think it’s important to have a few friends around. These are the kinds of people who will help you come across situations and make you realize who you truly are based off your actions.

I know you might be wondering why am I rambling on about things that we all should know, but these are the characteristics that can help determine what kind of mindset you have: fixed or growth. One thing that people seem to forget is that you’re the only one who can shape your mindset. The most important thing to remember is that you’re the only one who can make decisions for yourself because at the end of the day, you’re the one who has to live with the actions. No one else can make the decisions for you.

1 Comment

One Response to “Growth Mindset:”

1. Christian Lewis on August 11th, 2017 8:56 am

It is easy to write about what is right and what is wrong, but the story that brings that idea into the everyday life of her readers is rare. By filling your story with personal voice and emotion, the reader can tell that the correct “growth mindset” is very real and very important to you. Great Job!

*

• Growth Mindset:

Courier Top Opinion Article

School Starvation

• Growth Mindset:

Courier Top Opinion Article

Another Milestone

• Growth Mindset:

Courier Top Opinion Article

The Ultimate Guide to Surviving High School

• Growth Mindset:

Opinion

No More PDA!

• Growth Mindset:

Opinion

New ‘Promethean’ Boards. Good or Bad?

• Growth Mindset:

Sports

Kings vs. Indians

• Student Life

Economics and Business

• Student Life

The Meaning Behind the Name

• Growth Mindset:

Features

The Importance of Animal Overpopulation

• Growth Mindset:

Features

Lewis Cass Welcomes Miss Wolf

Growth Mindset: