Filed under Student Life

Family Vacation

My sister, Madison, climbing  rocks at The Needles.

My sister, Madison, climbing rocks at The Needles.

Have you ever been to The Badlands? How about Devil’s Tower? Custer State Park? A year ago I would’ve said no to these questions, but now I can say yes to all of them. This summer my family went on vacation to South Dakota and Colorado. Even though my family is insane and can drive me crazy sometimes, I had a lot of fun on the trip. We got to see a lot of the amazing landmarks in America. My favorite part was when we went to Custer State Park because we got to see a lot of wildlife, go through narrow tunnels, and climb rocks.
When we entered Custer State Park, we got a map of the 70 mile scenic route. The map had pictures of the different wildlife we could see. These pictures included buffalo, sheep, deer, etc.; however, we only saw a few deer and buffalo. Custer State Park is a wildlife reserve and the largest and first state park. Visitors can see a lot of things they can’t see back at home. I found the scenery interesting because we can’t see anything like it in Indiana. The ground is drier, the plants greener, and the animals more exotic. Another part of the park I found interesting was the ways the rocks formed.
Anyone who’s been to this state park knows about the narrow tunnels. Only one car can go through at a time. Bigger cars have to bring in their side mirrors to avoid hitting them on the rocks. I enjoyed going through the tunnels and knowing that I could easily reach out and touch the rock on the side of the car. I don’t know how the rocks formed the way they did, but it was interesting to experience. Another amazing rock formation was Needles Highway.
One of my favorite parts of Custer State Park was the Needles. The Needles are a rock formation that look like, well, needles. Visitors may get out of their cars and climb on the rocks. My older sister, Madison, my dad, and I are all big on doing adventurous things, so naturally we all got out of the car and started climbing. We got over some of the rocks and discovered a place where we could look out over the rest of the park. Seeing all of this was a very unique experience. The view was amazing from there. Since northern Indiana is relatively flat, the mountains were like nothing we’d ever seen.
This trip was an amazing experience. I wanted to see a part of the United States that was nothing like where I had come from. South Dakota and Colorado did just that. Custer State Park was a very unique experience and I enjoyed it very much. My family members drove each other crazy in the long car rides and hotel rooms; however we had a lot of fun rock climbing, hiking, and seeing amazing landmarks. Even though we got annoyed with each other, it was a good bonding experience, and we had a great experience overall.

1 Comment

One Response to “Family Vacation”

1. Caleb Johnson on August 15th, 2017 8:37 am

Morgan your story was very fun to read. It was fun to read about your trip to two different states. I hope I get to go hiking in the mountains someday.

*

• Student Life

An Open Letter to the Upcoming Juniors

• Family Vacation

Saying Goodbye To Bauer

• Family Vacation

Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

• Student Life

Slang Translator

• Family Vacation

Rosemary Todd Award Winner

• Family Vacation

Michaela Pullen loves being an RA at Ball State

• Family Vacation

Sorting Marbles

• Family Vacation

Alexander for County Council

• Family Vacation

Noodle Arms

• Family Vacation

“The Time Traveler”

Family Vacation