Filed under Features

Indiana Dunes Trip

As I stumbled down the giant mass of sand, barely able to maintain my balance, little pebbles of sand rushed throughout my body, blinding both myself and my companions who surrounded me while we tried to get back to the bottom of the large, sandy hill. The sun was shining brightly, but a fresh breeze brought from the lake made the sun feel like a non-factor even though some of us left with harsh sunburns. The beach was slowly transformed into an array of ovular impressions in the shape of a footprint which seemed to replicate itself into many other footprints which continued down the shore of Lake Michigan in northern Indiana.

The Lewis Cass cross country team took a trip to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore late this summer where we spent our day driving, stopping, running, driving, stopping, and running again. We left from the high school in the morning packing a mini bus to full capacity on the way to our destination in the far northern portion of Indiana. We decided to make a slight detour on the way to the lake and headed for New Prairie High School, the site of the semi-state cross country meet. We decided to run that course so that we would be familiar with it if we went that far into the season.

Little did we know that we would be trekking across a swamp of a woods in the middle of a storm. When we first arrived at New Prairie High School the sun looked like it was about to hide itself while rain clouds rushed in from all angles. Our coach decided that we should be able to run the course in any condition so we took off to run the course. With each step each of us would get stuck in the mud, barely able to remove each foot from the wet dirt before placing it just a few feet after the other. We ran through a small valley where walls of dirt reached ten feet to each of our sides, leaving us only three or four feet of a path to run through; the path was flooded, of course. We ran up what seemed to be a straight vertical climb, and once we reached the top of this tremendous mountain, we were exhausted of all the energy we had left. Then we packed up into the bus like sardines and went on our way to the closest of the Great Lakes, Lake Michigan.

The drive to the lake took about 45 minutes from New Prairie high school, and we were soaked and tired high schoolers who weren’t looking forward to an afternoon full of more running even if it would be on a beach. We decided that we would endure the blazing sun that rose above us. We were left tired with burns throughout our bodies, but more importantly we were left with a good time. After sprinting up dunes, wearing our legs out, running for an extreme amount of time on the beach, and swimming in algae ridden water that had flesh eating bacteria living in it (the beach was closely due to the discovery of flesh eating bacteria filling the lakeshore), we came out with a sense of brotherhood and had a good time together.

The trip to the Indiana Dunes with the boys cross country has always been one of my favorite things to do in the summer, and this year, my last year, has been no different. The trip was still filled with all these fun activities previously described, plus an extra trip to the mall before we arrived home. This year’s trip, my last one, made me realize two things- there will be many more lasts to come, and I will be happy with each one as they come.

2 Responses to “Indiana Dunes Trip”

1. Cjay74 on August 9th, 2017 10:56 am

I love how you really showcase Coach Bonsett’s fire for us to be able to run a course in any weather. I’m so excited to see how this season goes! Semi-State as a Team? The dunes trip is always brutal, the team took the pain like champs… as we always do. I hope your Senior season is great!!

2. Mack Appleton on August 14th, 2017 11:16 am

I like the detailed description of the weather and terrain, making the scene very easy to picture. I have been to the dunes several times and really enjoyed the time spent there, but I have never been around during a time when it was flooded. It seems like it was a cool trip, and good luck to you and the cross country team this season.

*

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Features

Bison Blows Away Sycamores and My Mind

• Indiana Dunes Trip

A Different Kind of Camp

• Features

Oldest/First Public School in America

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Features

The Fountainhead Essay Contest

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Features

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Features

Spooky Indiana

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Features

Fight, Courage, and Heart; Surviving a Miracle

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Features

Addiction

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Hoosier Boys State

• Indiana Dunes Trip

Features

the Battle on Brownsburg Football Field

Indiana Dunes Trip