Filed under Student Life

Open Letter to My Anxiety

This+picture+represents+myself+conquering+anxiety.+The+meaning+towards+the+picture+is+that+even+though+it%27s+a+disease%2C+you+can+conquer+any+obstacle+that+is+in+your+way.+
This picture represents myself conquering anxiety. The meaning towards the picture is that even though it's a disease, you can conquer any obstacle that is in your way.

Dear Anxiety,

Our relationship is seriously killing me. We’ve been together for as long as I can remember, but I think it is time to part our ways. Yes, I know I have said this before, but you keep running back as if you were a disease, my disease. I try to sit in class and focus on my work, but you are just there to keep me distracted by freaking myself out over little things. Anxiety, you really keep me going.

I remember you started to get in my head in sixth grade. This is the year that I had my crushes over basketball boys and minded my own business in my studies. This is also the year that my parents got a divorce. During the divorce, it led my lovely self to depression, which caused me to be in therapy. This is where you came along anxiety. I went to the counseling sessions twice a week to talk about my problems and it never helped. I went through this for two years and you anxiety always had me up at night crying, feeling useless, and powerless. You also made me feel lonely throughout the year, causing me to be a little bit quiet and distant in my activities including my friends and clubs. As the year continued on, you anxiety kept ripping me apart piece by piece. I wasn’t myself anymore. I moved to a new school, new town, and a whole new life to try to change myself to be a better person. I made myself happy, but you anxiety kept coming back to haunt me in my real life dream. The tears, the pain, and the real life horror story made it worse as the years went on. You anxiety hurt me. You anxiety had the smarts to get me to become the scared little girl I once was. Now in the present, things have changed. I’m in control.

This picture was taken by Holly Widner last year for her photography class project, which was about insecurities. For my insecurity, anxiety is one that haunts me every time something goes out of hand. It is considered a disease, which makes the subject more touching than it should be. We decided to use this pose to show that anxiety speaks for myself and overrules to become the person I am not.

We are currently in my junior year of high school. Even though you are in my mind, it’s getting easier to block you out. Yes, I do have my troubles here and there with you anxiety, but I am getting better. I have people who love me unconditionally and have my back. I also have the knowledge to get myself back together when times are rough. I went back to counseling to seek real help and I got a chance to meet one of the best therapists I have ever met. She told me that I am rare. She told me that seeing me hurt but successful in my activities and academics is really rare. The meaning of the letter is that even though I am different at school and other places doesn’t mean I didn’t have problems at home. Anxiety, you are a piece of art but I am better than you. I have the power in my hands to conquer you. I have finally been achieving my goals without the thoughts in my head. I finally became the true Megan and became the person I want to be. I do have my bad days and I do have my struggles but in the end, I am the one in control.

So anxiety, thank you. Thank you for making me realize that my hard times makes me the strongest person I have ever met. You made me realize I can achieve my goals without the pain and worry, especially without the crying nights. Anxiety, your time is cut short after me saying one more thing.

Sincerely,

The Frightened Girl that Rose to the Top

Anxiety may be a disease, but it is one that you can conquer, even when you think the last resort is the last. You define who you are, not the disease.

10 Responses to “Open Letter to My Anxiety”

1. Alisha on August 23rd, 2017 8:50 pm

You are a very amazing woman! You keep staying strong, you have this!

2. Kelsey Wise on August 24th, 2017 8:16 am

I really like your story. I myself don’t struggle with anxiety, but what you wrote opened my eyes to a better understanding of how a person can overcome anxiety and do well. Very nice job with your story!

3. Morgan Miller on August 24th, 2017 8:37 am

I really like your article! I like how you were so personal about writing it. Anxiety is a huge problem, and I am so glad you aren’t letting it stop you from being yourself. Good job!

4. Robin Asher on August 25th, 2017 5:58 am

Your honesty will touch a lot of people. Sometimes, we forget how powerful we are at our core.

5. McKayla Thompson on August 25th, 2017 8:54 am

Great article! I love how you spoke your mind. I really heard a lot of voice through this article. I liked the picture because it really added to the story. Great job Megan!

6. McKayla Ramsey on August 26th, 2017 6:09 pm

This article is so brave and I love that you are conquering what is trying to keep you down! Keep being bold and don’t let the anxiety overcome you. I think a lot of students will be able to relate to this article! Great job!

7. Josie Woolever on August 29th, 2017 10:26 am

You did a terrific job with this Megs. You have been through so much, and you’re still fighting through everyday like a champ! I love how you weren’t afraid to let people know they aren’t alone when it comes to fighting anxiety. Great job Megs!

8. Holly Widner on August 30th, 2017 10:20 am

I’m so proud of you for writing this article. It truly takes a brave person to conquer this. Keep up the great work Meg! Great article!

9. Summer Chambers on October 2nd, 2017 4:51 pm

This is such an inspiring article. While reading this, it felt like you were reaching out to the ones who struggle with anxiety like you. I myself struggle with anxiety as well, so it was amazing to read this article and know how anxiety affects others as well as me. It was inspiring that you were personal with this article. Very nice work. Great job!

10. Person person on October 11th, 2017 2:41 pm

Megan this is amazing

*

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

Bunny Fever

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

Stepping on to the IU field

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

Senioritis Struggles

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

To the Girl Struggling to Love Herself

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

To be, Not to be, Full is Key

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

Keeping Up With Senior Year

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

Family Doesn’t Always Come From Blood

• Student Life

Tips for Underclassmen

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

Fishing with an Arrow

• Open Letter to My Anxiety

Decision for Depauw

Open Letter to My Anxiety