Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Mondays. The first main day to start off a week. The Monday morning slap in the face into a brand new week. Even though we have some good Mondays, we still dread about the thought of Monday. The reason why this day is terrible in perspectives is a main question everyone wonders. In fact, there are some psychological and scientific reasons why we try to avoid these “terrific” days.

One main reason that has been discussed by three scientists that Justin Reynolds wrote about in Tinypulse is that we typically mess up our clocks and sleep schedules throughout the weekends. The human body is an amazing thing especially having a item in our heads that knows what to do within that day or understands how to do something: the brain. The brain is filled with many responsibilities and commitments so it seems impractical to get a least the recommended eight hours of sleep each night. As students like us, we love to stay up later than usual on weekends because we don’t have school the next day and it is nice to sleep in to catch up with the hours we lost through the week. Studies have shown that our minds are literally still on the weekend vacation so it keeps most people up and makes the Monday morning exhausting. The full definition of exhaustion is a state of extreme physical or mental fatigue meaning that you’re just tired throughout the whole day. Yeah, this really sounds like most Mondays for me!

Another reason that Monday is a bad day is that there is typically a sudden change in the week. For example,the day is Friday and the bell is about to ring for us to get out of school and enjoy a really fun weekend. Our minds anticipate for the weekend because of the thoughts we have been thinking about all week. The emotions we expressed for our love for weekends causes a larger emotional shift, says Kathy Benjamin from Mental Floss, from that Friday to the beginning of your morning when you wake up Monday. So basically no matter what, Monday will always seem like your worst enemy. It’s crazy right?

The final reason why Monday can be hard for most people is that you feel worse about yourself or feel negative throughout the day. From Mental Floss it stated that people average weekend is full of eating, drinking, and sometimes smoking more than usual out of a regular weekday. This is because the activities we do over the weekends whether it’s a usual Saturday band competition, a lazy day, or a volleyball tournament that takes a huge toll of the energy out of people. This sudden change takes around three to four days to recover depending on what the activities being done. Another reason that ties to this is people also starts a diet on this day since it’s the beginning of the week. Even though this is usually a positive change to your body, you come from a place of feeling bad about yourself and your health that can cause a negative mindset to your body.

These scientific reasons are the main reason why Mondays are the worst days of the week. The best advice is it’s always best to have a positive vibe to making the day a good one and plan out your day beforehand so your sleep schedule doesn’t get intermixed with your education time or athletics. Another thing to make your Monday great is also listening to fun music before school or work to make yourself happy and confident. These are great things to do on a Monday but, in my opinion, they should just ban the Mondays!

14 Responses to “Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!”

1. Jordan Henry on September 25th, 2017 8:20 am

Love this! It’s very informative and elucidative. Great story!

2. Bodie St.Clair on September 25th, 2017 2:12 pm

I love this Article, Great job! I can relate to it so much. It also had great information in it and was very well written.

3. Kirstyn Kiger on September 26th, 2017 2:48 pm

I absolutely dread Mondays. I need more time to recover from my weekend and more time to relax before jumping right back into school. I love how you included facts and research to back up why we all dread Mondays. Great article!

4. Zach Fields on September 28th, 2017 9:24 am

I also dislike Mondays. I am always so tired when I wake up in the mornings. I found that drinking coffee on Monday mornings tend to pick me up and enjoy the day more. Good article!

5. Austin Holt on September 28th, 2017 10:21 am

This is a good article!! I agree with you through everything.

6. Maddie Mckay on September 28th, 2017 10:30 am

Great article and easily relatable! Monday’s are awful and drain the energy out of me.

7. Jerrud Darland on September 28th, 2017 2:00 pm

Great article, I agree with you. It seems everyone is tired on Mondays.

8. Lauren Hileman on October 1st, 2017 5:46 pm

Good article! I can definitely. All you gotta do is have a good attitude and push through the day and sooner or later the weekend will come again

9. Holly Widner on October 2nd, 2017 8:46 am

I cannot stand Mondays! I always feel like I’m lazily walking through every period of the day. Great article!

10. Ronan Blickenstaff on October 2nd, 2017 5:45 pm

I feel like Garfield in this moment of disliking mondays. Good article too.

11. Aisha Anderson on October 2nd, 2017 8:59 pm

Amazing article, now I know why mondays’ are literally the worst and I’ll have some backup information next time I say it ;P

12. Abigail Droll on October 3rd, 2017 8:29 am

Good article, good use of words

13. Emily Tigler on October 3rd, 2017 10:21 am

I agree with you. I dread Monday always. Good work!

14. jpric71 on October 9th, 2017 5:58 pm

I can tell that you really did a lot of research on this subject. I loved this article.

*

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Senioritis Struggles

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

To be, Not to be, Full is Key

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Family Doesn’t Always Come From Blood

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Becoming Me

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

High School Tears

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Bunny Fever

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Showcase

Kings’ Cast 10-13-17

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Sports

Chasing The Heisman Trophy

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

Stepping on to the IU field

• Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!

News

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

Bad Case of the Mondays…Literally!