Filed under Showcase

Launch Into Leadership

Our Lewis Cass FCCLA Officers posing for a

Our Lewis Cass FCCLA Officers posing for a "selfie" at Fall Rally. In front: Lucy Mae Wagoner (Senior), Addison Wagoner (Junior), Megan Dishon (Junior), Alexis Goltz (Sophomore), McKayla Reed (Sophomore), Bailey Young (Sophomore)

Being in FCCLA does a lot for teenagers today. This shows how to be a true leader with a twist.  The twist is not only we learn skills we will need throughout the future, but also crazy field trips and opportunities that make joining the club worth it! This year’s “Launching into Leadership” is a huge success this year, especially the fun we had at FCCLA Fall Rally State Leadership Conference!

This conference was held at Ivy Tech College Culinary and Conference Center in Indianapolis. This conference had over 30 schools with over 450 kids attending to learn all about the FCCLA events that will be going on this year and how to build a great leader. When we first walked in, we had to step inside this huge conference center for our guest speaker and some fun activities to do. Our guest speaker talked about how there is a program named “Voice” that is a nonprofit organization that helps teens around the state of Indiana to know the harms and effect of tobacco usage. This may sound boring and uninteresting, but it was very impactful to not only the students but also the advisers within the conference center. Also our guest speaker Mark was so much fun as we did a greeting new people within the Indiana FCCLA conference. This was so much fun especially when I got to meet two new juniors from Avon High School that are just like me and we are planning to compete with each other in this year’s state conference.

As the eventful day continued, we attended to three different lectures throughout the day: Launching into Leadership, Uniting Members, and Say Yes to FCS. These lectures are not like ordinary lectures. These lectures consist of people you don’t know and you might have to do some crazy things. For example, in our leadership game we had to play a game called egg,chicken, dinosaur, leader game where you have to win at rock-paper-scissors in order to become a leader. If you finally become a leader, you help the little chickens or dinosaurs to become the ultimate leader. This is a meaningful game because being a leader consists of helping out one another to be successful. These lectures are actually tons and tons of fun! 

2017-18 FCCLA State Officers

In this lecture we also talked about how to get new members into our FCCLA program and make our “team” bigger and better. The next lecture was in a different room and a totally different environment. This one was in a huge room with loud music and different strobe color lights to make the day better than it was. We got into a group of five and I sat by these amazing girls from a school down southern Indiana and we all had to pick a number. With that number we all had to go up to the front of the whole room to do whatever the state officers had in mind. For me I picked number one meaning I was the first one to go. Funny thing is that I had to jump on one foot, pat my head and rub my stomach, and spin around! Oh did I mention I was in heels? One of the funniest things I’ve ever done! It was a lot of fun to meet the new girls in my group and know more about them. The last lecture was about how all FCCLA members said yes to FCS and was given chocolate milk because who doesn’t drink chocolate milk on National Chocolate Milk Day?

FCCLA members smiling because they got chocolate milk for National Chocolate Milk Day! Left to Right: Taylor Gorman, Addison Wagoner, Lucy Mae Wagoner

Overall, this was a fun and eventful Fall Rally. I love being in FCCLA because of all the new people I get to meet along the way and get to learn what a true leader is. If you have any questions about the FCCLA program we have at school, ask me or the Lewis Cass adviser Ms. Wagoner if you want to be involved with this wonderful program! Stay tuned in October when we do Rush Week to get new members!

1 Comment

One Response to “Launch Into Leadership”

1. McKayla Thompson on October 9th, 2017 8:26 am

Great article Megan! It is amazing that they offer this great opportunity for teenagers to learn about leadership. It’s awesome to hear that we have a state officer from Lewis Cass. I’m glad it has been a fun time, and I hope it continues to be fun. Good job!

*

• Launch Into Leadership

Showcase

Kings’ Cast 10-13-17

• Launch Into Leadership

News

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

• Launch Into Leadership

Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

• Launch Into Leadership

Courier Top Sports Article

My Last Round

• Launch Into Leadership

Courier Top Sports Article

Swimming: A Mental Sport

• Launch Into Leadership

Sports

The Calm Before the Storm

• Uncategorized

KingsCast 9-13-17

• Launch Into Leadership

Courier Top Opinion Article

Fight for Equality

• Launch Into Leadership

Lewis Cass Grad Touches the Sky

• Launch Into Leadership

Showcase

School Board Releases Construction Plans

Launch Into Leadership