My Last Round

I started my freshman year at Lewis Cass with six girls who made me laugh and visually demonstrated what it looked like to have a mental breakdown. These six girls made up the Lady King’s golf team. Every mis-hit, sleepover, and joke about Coach Jones doesn’t seem as if it would add up to anything resembling talent, but it did and it still does. The memories I received during my freshman year season is the reason I love golf so much. Throughout the year these girls made golf fun.

During my first year on the team, we fought for a single win. None of us were fantastic, but we all enjoyed running through the course sprinklers. These are probably the reason we didn’t have a winning season. Nevertheless, we had our hard working days. Years passed and I grew to miss the previous seniors each year, but I felt more and more excited that I was building a team of my own. Each year we began winning more and more matches while continuing to have the same fun we always had. This year, my senior year, we finally crossed the bridge to have a winning season where the team was undefeated in all of our single matches. As any athlete knows, all of this hard work leads up to the sectional. This year we took seventh place at the sectional and I got the opportunity to move on with a score of 92.

This Saturday I played in the IHSAA Golf Regional as a senior. Although I played pretty well, I did not move on to state, but I wasn’t expecting to and I just enjoyed the opportunity to play with girls the same level as me and even better. I’ve had several coaches tell me throughout the years as an athlete that playing with people better will make me better, and I believe that is very true. As I putted my 18th hole this Saturday, I felt a little sad that I would no longer be part of the Lady Kings golf team, but I quickly realized that I will be able to play golf for the rest of my life, but I don’t believe I would have ever wanted to if I hadn’t been introduced to the sport by such a fun group of girls. Overall, I just want to say thank you to the girls who were on that team, and I hope that they are succeeding in their lives on and off the golf course and I hope that they continue to give Coach Jones a hard time everytime they see him. I know how much he enjoys it.

Overall, I’ll miss high school golf so much, but I can’t wait to play as relaxed as I want in the future. To the seniors next year, I’ll miss them more than they know, and I hope they play as much as they can because it’s over fast. I hope that I was as good of an influence as the seniors I’ve had in years passed, and I hope the girls now looked up to me in the way I look up to all of them.

4 Responses to “My Last Round”

1. McKayla Thompson on October 5th, 2017 8:33 am

Great article Olivia! You have came so far in your golfing! I love the emotions expressed in this article. I’m glad you have enjoyed all your years golfing at Lewis Cass. Good Job!

2. Jordan Henry on October 5th, 2017 9:27 am

Love this, I am so happy that you made it to regionals! I along wit the rest of the team will really miss you! I hope that you had fun!

3. Brooklynn Fye on October 6th, 2017 9:22 am

Sal pal… I will miss you so much. I am very proud to say I got to be a team mate with you. You have opened a new perspective in life to me, and it means the world that you were a high school mentor to me. I hope you continue to play golf and enjoy life. We need to play some holes together before you leave. Thank you Olivia for everything. Please take your writing and golf skills to college. You will do amazing things in life.

4. Hayden Vest on October 10th, 2017 2:13 pm

Great article! It must be tough to have to walk away from a sport that you have spent so much time and effort in. It’s awesome to see the improvement that came with the years for the Lady Kings golf team!

*

• My Last Round

Courier Top Sports Article

Another Great Season For the Books

• My Last Round

Courier Top Sports Article

Swimming: A Mental Sport

• My Last Round

Courier Top Sports Article

My Football Life

• My Last Round

Bunny Fever

• My Last Round

Showcase

Kings’ Cast 10-13-17

• My Last Round

Sports

Chasing The Heisman Trophy

• My Last Round

Stepping on to the IU field

• My Last Round

News

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

• My Last Round

Opinion

The Left-Hand “Touch”

• Opinion

Until It’s Gone

My Last Round