Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

The 38th annual fun run took place Thursday  at Lewis Cass High School. Elementary schoolers at Lewis Cass Elementary in grades K-5, as opposed to K-6 who have been in the fun run most of the previous 37 years prior to the merging of the middle school, were able to participate in the Fun Run. Each grade level held its own mixed gender race with kindergarten and 1st grade running distances 600 meters, 2nd and 3rd graders running 900 meters, and 4th and 5th graders running 1200 meters. This accounts for how well they are able to run and how long they can as they grow and mature. The fun run excites many kids as it continues year by year.
This year the fun run was held on the track for the first time instead of being ran like a cross country meet as it has in all of the previous years. This is because administration wanted a parent friendly competition where all parents could easily watch most of the race from the stands, but it greatly takes away from the cross country roots that the fun run was built on. There was a much smaller starting line on the football field rather than the usual enormous line of little kids loudly joking with each each other and ready to run their respective races. Although the track-centered fun run takes away from the annual atmosphere, there was still a great turnout of young kids that had a lot of fun.
The boys and girls cross country teams helped with the fun run by leading the race and pointing the young runners on where to go where they might have been a little confused. Also, these runners helped encourage runners to do their very best and ran with them to help them get going in order to help them out. Without their help the young competitors would have easily become lost in the tangle of twists and turns outside of the track.
All of the young runners gave it all they had to do their very best, whether it was walking, running, or jogging. The fun run was built on the platform of improving physical fitness among a younger group of kids that may not spend very much time focusing on fitness. In the past years, those who ran the fun run every year K-6 became gold runners, a reward given only to the very few that persevere each year, but now they have changed it so that gold runners have participated every year from K-5 due to the elementary school being K-5 now.
When asked about how he liked the fun run, first grader Jacob Dixon said, “Good. I ran fast.” A man of few words. Benjamin Jay was very excited to win his 3rd grade race, quoting, “I ran as fast as I could.” Seems like the perfect strategy to me.
This year’s fun run was as successful as it has been in previous years due to the hard work of teachers preparing, high school runners helping, and, most importantly, the will of the elementary schoolers to do the very best of their abilities.

3 Responses to “Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run”

1. Mari Karmel on October 9th, 2017 8:17 am

I love helping with this event and seeing all the kids run. I remember doing this when I was in elementary school, and it was the coolest thing to do! So great to see so many kids take an interest in this annual event! Great article!

2. klewe90 on October 9th, 2017 8:33 am

Great story Haden! The fun run was always a fun event that I looked forward to each year as an elementary schooler.I vividly remember being at that starting line ready to put my best effort in. I had a great time watching these kids put all of their effort in. I’m glad to see that this long tradition is still holding true. Good job!

3. cjoll79 on October 9th, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey Hayden great story. I like the fact that you gave the thinkings of some of the runners.I also like that you said how it changed a little bit compared to what it was when it first started. Again great story.

*

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

A Different Kind of Camp

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

Hoosier Boys State

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

An Open Letter to My Brothers

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

Lewis Cass Grad Touches the Sky

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

Bunny Fever

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

Showcase

Kings’ Cast 10-13-17

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

Sports

Chasing The Heisman Trophy

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

Stepping on to the IU field

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

News

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

• Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

Opinion

The Left-Hand “Touch”

Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run