A Different Kind of Camp

Blood, sweat, pain, soreness, and the potential to get injured are a few characteristics of one specific activity I participated in this summer. If the people reading this article had to guess what I did, I’m sure they’d all say cheer, probably not. This summer the Lewis Cass cheerleaders went to camp. Our typical cheer camps are usually through UCA, United Cheer Association, but this year was very different for us and here’s why.

When it comes to cheer camps in the past, our team has always attended a UCA camp which includes staying in a college dorm and dancing and cheering all day in air conditioning, but this year was not the case. Last year at cheer camp everyday was filled with games, cheers, dances, and fun competitions, but we never really thought about the results. Last year, as a team, we stayed in dorm rooms together, ate together, and walked around campus together, but this year things were a little different.

Before heading to the camp, we stopped at our rental home, which was much better than a dorm room! We stayed in a huge house and all had the same bonding time we always have had. Little did we know the pain we would suffer through just a few hours later. Just kidding, it wasn’t that bad. This year we ditched dancing for running and switched from holding signs to people. We attended the Elkhart Indiana Ultimate Cheer Gym. When our busses rolled in, it was a rude awakening as we all took a look at the semi-outdoor gym in the almost 90 degree heat. As we walked into Indiana Ultimate, the floor was a giant mat and the walls were covered in mirrors, trophies, and banners that showed world championship titles, so we knew the girls who actually went to this gym meant business.

Throughout the few days we were there, the instructors were very intense but helpful. We learned new drills to make our jumps higher and our stunts sharper. They all treated us as their own and gave us the criticism that their own girls would receive. Unlike the UCA camps, Indiana Ultimate left us with many more helpful hints at stunts. They taught us new ways to fly and lift to make the whole stunt lighter. Overall, the intensity and coaching at this year’s camp has really paid off, and even two months later the level of improvement we have reached is visible. At the end of the day we have Indiana Ultimate to thank for everything the crowd sees this season.

1 Comment

One Response to “A Different Kind of Camp”

1. cjoll79 on October 13th, 2017 1:55 pm

Olivia great story. I think how you compared this gym compared to the other is great. Again great story hope this new gym helped.

*

• A Different Kind of Camp

Lewis Cass Holds 38th Annual Fun Run

• A Different Kind of Camp

Hoosier Boys State

• A Different Kind of Camp

An Open Letter to My Brothers

• A Different Kind of Camp

Lewis Cass Grad Touches the Sky

• A Different Kind of Camp

Bunny Fever

• A Different Kind of Camp

Showcase

Kings’ Cast 10-13-17

• A Different Kind of Camp

Sports

Chasing The Heisman Trophy

• A Different Kind of Camp

Stepping on to the IU field

• A Different Kind of Camp

News

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

• A Different Kind of Camp

Opinion

The Left-Hand “Touch”

A Different Kind of Camp