Filed under Student Life

To the Girl Struggling to Love Herself

You look in the mirror, and the things you see are horrifying. You readjust your clothing to hide whatever flaws may lie underneath. You change your outfit three more times before walking out of the house. It does not matter what you do; nothing will make you feel beautiful. You apply your foundation one last time just to make sure none of your blemishes are noticeable, but you should not have to hide behind a mask. You were not made to be perfect; you were made to be imperfect. Your imperfections make you who you are.

Your friends will tell you that you are beautiful, and as bad as you want to believe them, you just can’t. They do not see things the same way you do, and I can promise you that it pains them to see you bring yourself down. Your parents will tell your grandparents how you are excelling in your academics and athletics, but they do not see the pain you are experiencing. You have found a way to hide your pain behind a smile, and only those closest to you can see through the fake smile and blank stares.

Waking up in the morning poses another problem: facing yourself in the mirror yet again. You readjust your clothes, change into another outfit, style your hair, the list is endless. Nothing you do seems to work because your physical appearance is being damaged by your self confidence. You lack the confidence to wear the newest styles and fads. You do not think you can ever look like the models in magazines. You were not built to look like those models; you were made to look like you: unique.

Let me start off by saying I understand how you are feeling, and I promise every other girl around you feels the same way. We all struggle with our physical appearance even those who seem to have the perfect body, hair, and skin. We are not sculpted out of clay, and we are not Greek goddesses. We are supposed to be imperfect, and we need to learn how to embrace our imperfections.

Here are a few things you should know.

Change does not occur overnight – Learning to love yourself is going to take time. Embracing who you are as a person is going to take time. Being confident about your physical appearance is going to take time. I promise you that all of this time will be worth it. One day you will wake up and love what you see in the mirror. Be patient.

You are not alone – Each and every girl struggles with her appearance. Whether it be one bad hair day or consecutive days of feeling lesser than perfect, we have all been there. Ask for help. Pray to God, and ask him to help you find strength within yourself to push through.

Focus on the positive – As you learn to love yourself, positive things will come your way. Celebrate each thing as if it’s a small victory. When you go shopping, try on the newest styles and learn to love what you see. Each positive moment will lead you into loving yourself even more everyday.

Right now, you are exhausted of feeling worthless and miserable. You dread getting dressed in the morning and the image you will see in the mirror. Take a deep breathe and relax. Better days are headed your way, and this constant battle will soon be over. I believe in you, and I know you can do this.