State Champions at Last

“…And your new class C state champion is Lewis Cass!”

Not a single person in the band didn’t have tears running down their face or a smile stretching ear to ear across his face when the announcer called the Lewis Cass Marching Kings as the new class C state champions. I’ve waited four years to hear those very words come out of the announcer’s mouth at the ISSMA state champion finals. Saturday was the day the marchings Kings finally achieved everything they had been working for all season long.

“This was the most reassuring moment of my life. The feeling of knowing everything that you have been working for the past 6 months has finally paid off will be something I can carry the rest of my life. We told ourselves that we were going to be the last ones on the field since the beginning of the season and that is what we did,” said senior and drum major Luke Hammond.

The Kings have put in so many hours of work this season it’s probably near impossible to count them all (we tried). At the beginning of the season, everyone in the band made a commitment to working hard and striving for the state championship. The last time Lewis Cass won a class C state championship was in 2003, or 14 years ago. The seniors this year have placed 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and now 1st. The senior class this year took the band and flipped it upside down. Along with the help of band director Mr. Muth, the senior class was open to new ways of doing things and always trusted and supported one another- obviously something worked. The kings did not stumble upon this title by accident; the band worked harder than ever before to make this dream into a reality.

Senior Lauren McLeland said, “When I walked off the field, I was crying because I knew that I had the best show of my band career, and that we had to have won. It was the best feeling, but there was no way we could have won this year without Mr. Muth’s help. He is the main reason this band has come so far in just two short years.”

As for the underclassmen in the band, they were just as ecstatic as we were. When we were walking off the field from our performance, Mr. Bonnell saw sophomore Savanna Sturdivant sobbing and he asked her if she was okay. Her response was, “I’m okay I just don’t want this to end.” The entire band bought into the new way of doing things and we were successful because of the hard work and dedication displayed during our season. The freshman class never has had to feel the way the seniors have felt for the last three years because of the drive the band had this year.

“I was in shock. I was so excited and so happy for the seniors. I’m going to miss band this year, but I am already looking forward to next season. I feel like the season was really fun. The people that were in the band were so willing to work hard, and that’s what made us great,” Said freshman Jordan Henry.

From feeling sad about state being the last competition, to the excitement of the outstanding performance, and finally the relief of knowing that all of our hard work paid off when we won, the marching kings were overcome with emotion on Saturday. Winning was amazing, but most of the band members were so filled with emotion because the Kings had such an amazing performance. Regardless of place, the Kings knew they had the best possible performance they could’ve had that day. Accomplishing something like this someone one can only experience a couple times in life. The kings have deserved this since the first week of band camp. The marching kings are a true example of how hard work and dedication can lead to immense success.

7 Responses to “State Champions at Last”

1. hannah_young on November 7th, 2017 8:29 am

Congrats Mari! I like how you said the seniors were so determined this year and flipped the attitude of everyone around. The state performance was breath taking, especially the ending. It’s amazing to see that everyone’s hard work paid off. Great article!

2. Morgan Miller on November 7th, 2017 9:30 am

Congrats to everyone in the band! You guys did amazing and deserved everything you got. It’s great that you got to win state your last year of band. Your hard work and change in attitude made all the difference. Great article!

3. Heather Hileman on November 7th, 2017 9:42 am

Mari, I remember you and a few other soon-to-be seniors talking last Spring while I was subbing in Mrs. Swanson’s room. You were defending the band program against someone who had dropped out of band. I could tell then that you kids had bought into Mr. Muth’s new approach and were ready to follow his lead. Look at everything you accomplished this season! (Bands of America title and Class C State Championship) I’m so proud of all of you! Once a King, Always a King!

4. Bill Isaacs on November 7th, 2017 9:45 am

Congratulations! Well written article and captures the hard work and dedication it takes to become State Champions. Proud of you!!

5. mdish72 on November 7th, 2017 1:43 pm

Congrats band! I love how much work and dedication members put into the program and I am so glad you finally got 1st, especially it being your senior year! From the looks of it when I went to a couple of competitions this year, you seniors have really been great role models for the underclassmen and that is what it is all about. Congrats again on your success!

6. Jenny Foreman on November 7th, 2017 9:50 pm

Well stated! You guys did an amazing job on Saturday! You guys couldn’t have done better!

7. Holly Widner on November 9th, 2017 8:25 am

Congratulations! This is an amazing accomplishment. Everyone works so hard and it paid off! Great article!

*

• State Champions at Last

Courier Top News Stories

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

• State Champions at Last

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Schools Earn an A

• State Champions at Last

Courier Top News Stories

Top City in The Country

• State Champions at Last

Courier Top News Stories

Fatal Logansport Shooting

• State Champions at Last

Opinion

An Open Letter to Black Friday Shoppers

• State Champions at Last

Turkey Day

• State Champions at Last

Showcase

Being in a play, a great experience

• State Champions at Last

Showcase

Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

• State Champions at Last

It’s Party Time

• State Champions at Last

One of the biggest fears anyone can have

State Champions at Last