Working Students

What do thirty-nine seniors, twenty-two juniors, thirteen sophomores, and one freshman have in common? They are all Lewis Cass students with jobs. Eighty students in our high school work, and yes, I am one of those eighty students. Students work different jobs for all different reasons, and they must learn to balance work with their school lives. Because the law has many restrictions, less students work as age goes down.
The law has many rules regarding how much minors can work. Fourteen and fifteen year olds have more restrictions than sixteen year olds. Sixteen year olds have more than seventeen year olds, etc. Because so many strict rules are set on fourteen and fifteen year olds, most places require applicants to be sixteen, which explains why as the grade goes down, the number of working students goes down. Of these eighty students, most of them work in fast food or retail, and they all have a different reason for having a job.
Students work for all different reasons. They may work because they want money to spend, or they may be saving up for college. Some students have parents who make them get a job as soon as they’re old enough; others must work to help support their families. Even if money isn’t a factor, I would encourage many students to work. My job has taught me many life lessons that I wouldn’t get anywhere else. I learned how to manage my time between sports, homework, and work. Even though I don’t love working, I value the lessons I have learned from it.
Learning to balance work with school and friends is hard, especially for students who are working multiple jobs or working while participating in sports or clubs. Working students must learn to balance work while keeping their grades up and making time for extracurriculars. Some teachers don’t realize that their students are working, and it’s hard to keep up with their school work. When students first get a job, this is very hard to do, but as they go on, they learn to balance their time. They must prioritize and find what is important to them to make time for all of their activities.
Whether or not a student works is up to them and their parents. Some students may be behind in school and need to focus on that. Others may be doing great in school and need something to do afterward. Students who decide to get a job must learn how to balance work with homework and extracurriculars. If a student is doing well in school, I would highly encourage them to get a job to get some extra money and some new experiences. Jobs teach students lessons they won’t get anywhere else.

3 Responses to “Working Students”

1. Brady Hammond on November 8th, 2017 8:40 am

I can relate to this article so well. I have a job that I have always been interested in, and I get to leave school while being graded on this job. My job has taught me so much in just 11 weeks that I have worked there and I love it. This article really drives home what working students have to deal with, and I can’t thank you enough for writing it. Great article!

2. Kelsey Wise on November 13th, 2017 8:31 am

Really great article. I have a job and somehow manage all the other responsibilities I have to deal with, so I can relate to your article and see how having a job can teach a students many things. Having a job really does teach life lessons and helps a person learn what comes to be expected in the future.

3. Jordan Henry on November 15th, 2017 8:30 am

I enjoyed your article abundantly. I like how you added the amount of people particularly in Cass. From the times I have worked, I enjoyed it and learned a lot. I really enjoyed reading your article.

*

Working Students