Building a Brotherhood

Not very many people get to experience Friday night lights. I personally think that there is no better feeling than being out on the field and going to war with the people you have built bonds with. Although football is only a sport, it can build some of the best relationships you will ever have. It can also leave you with memories you will never forget.

I have been playing football since second grade and have developed a strong love for the game and my lifelong teammates. Football is not an easy sport. Even during my first years, my buddies and I were pushed by our coaches to become disciplined and to have a blue-collared work ethic. For conditioning, we would not run a certain amount of suicides or laps. We would run until we could not go anymore. We always had to be picking each other up to encourage each other to keep going. We would end youth league practice with a drill called pride. It is a one on one drill where there is a ball carrier and a defensive tackler. The rest of the players had to choose a side on which person they thought would win the drill. This involved a lot of yelling and encouragement. Whoever lost in the drill would have to do push ups along with the people that chose their side. The hype that came from this drill is something I will never forget. Whenever you were beat in a drill, you were picked up by other players. We had a bond that no other team had. We had to pick each other up and help each other keep pushing through these tough practices. All of my youth league coaches played high school football back in their highschool days, so they knew exactly how to prepare us for the upcoming years. We were pushed both mentally and physically by them. Being a sophomore today, I think they did a great job at preparing us for friday night lights.

Successful football teams are always built with at least eleven players that give everything they have on the field and play with discipline. Many ups and downs come throughout a football season. A good football team is able to deal with these ups and downs in the best way possible. To do this, there has to be a special bond between the players.

The Lewis Cass football program had a very rough year last year. Along with a 1-9 season, the Kings also lost their head coach, Scott Mannering. They then hired Cass’ new head coach Jeff Phillips. At the beginning of this years football season, many people doubted the Kings because of the rough season they had last year.

I noticed something different about this year’s team as the season progressed. Most of the players had a special drive in them. They refused to have a repeat of last year. Everyone was determined to be great. I saw a bond between players. Our seniors did a great job of building the team together and pushing each other to get better. They picked others up during drills when they could not go any longer. They also talked others up when they failed at a task. This helped build a stronger brotherhood between the players. I think that this was a huge reason why the football team had a great year.

1 Comment

One Response to “Building a Brotherhood”

1. Mason Young on November 13th, 2017 2:06 pm

Great article, Gabe! I definitely feel like football builds a brotherhood as well. I like how you used examples of how the team bonded. Great job!

*

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

Purdue Baksetball Preview

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

Girls Swim Preview 2017

• Courier Top Sports Article

The Robotics Team’s VEXed Decision

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings On the Prowl for Panthers

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

My First Wall-Hanger

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings Defeat Oracles 33-6

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

World Series Recap and Predictions

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

Kings Prepare for Oracles

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

My Last Round

• Building a Brotherhood

Courier Top Sports Article

Another Great Season For the Books

Building a Brotherhood