Filed under Student Life

What Do You Mean I Have To Pick One?

For months now I have known that IUPUI would be the place I would call home for the next four months, but as the date to choose is approaching, I’ve had my doubts. I wasn’t sure I wanted to attend a school without a football team or a school that was considered a commuter campus. I still have lots of decisions ahead and in this article I’m going to try to explain the tornado flying around my head.

No college is custom made and so I know no matter where I eventually decide to attend I will have at least one thing I don’t like about it. I have always had this thought that I’d walk onto a campus and say, “This is where I’m going,” but that really hasn’t been the case for me. At IUPUI I thought that, until I questioned everything and looking into it, it doesn’t appeal to me as much as it once did.

A few days ago I had the opportunity to go on a college visit to Purdue and growing up in an IU house, Purdue is the very last place I saw myself going to college. I walked onto campus and I loved the full college vibe. IUPUI carried a urban city vibe and less of the traditional college campus vibe. Originally I thought I liked this about IUPUI but being engulfed in the college lifestyle made me realize what I really wanted.

I have a lot of school spirit and after thinking about it, I can’t imagine going to a school without a football team. IUPUI doesn’t have a football team and I have found that some of my best high school memories have been from the student section. I believe that I would continue to have amazing memories in student sections cheering for my school.

I also loved that everyone at Purdue had an overwhelming spirit for their school. Between professors, students, and alumni, everyone at Purdue yelled “boiler up” and told me all the reasons why I should be at Purdue next year at this time. The student life at Purdue appeals to me and I see much more of that at Purdue than IUPUI but that can be from the large gap in the size of the student body.

I absolutely love Indianapolis and I draw to IUPUI because of that love that I’ve had for a long time. I have begun to talk to myself about the logic behind the two colleges and the biggest thing I’ve found is that I could live in Indianapolis for the rest of my life, but I can only live on a college campus for the four years of my life.

One thing the Purdue visit guides said was “you can always make a big school feel small but you can never make a small school feel big.” I found this out when I heard how small the nursing program is even though it’s a great program. Out of 1000 applicants to the nursing program last year, Purdue only accepted 104 of them and this proves their nursing program prestigious. I would love to be apart of a great program that would really make the massive campus feel a lot smaller.

I still have no clue what exactly I want to do or where I want to be in the next year, but I still have a few months to figure it out. Purdue definitely pushed the way to the top of my list after this college visit and I’d love to attend either college. Purdue releases admission information on January 15, and I’ll be patiently watching my mailbox on that day.

8 Responses to “What Do You Mean I Have To Pick One?”

1. Holly Widner on November 13th, 2017 7:56 am

I had the same problem. I absolutely loved IUPUI because of its location. All of the benefits of going there seemed too real to be true. Once I visited Purdue, however, I felt like I truly was on a college campus not just in Lafayette. Great article!

2. klewe90 on November 13th, 2017 8:15 am

Sounds like a lot of fun! Being a sophomore, I have not had to go through the experience of applying and choosing a college. I really like how you explained what is going on through your mind and how your values are changing. Great article!

3. Drew Cornell on November 13th, 2017 8:21 am

I totally relate to this article. Choosing a college can mold your entire future. Visiting Purdue, I realized that is the campus I most likely will choose for my college. Some of their programs are competitive, but they offer help around the clock. Make sure you choose the college that you like the best! Nice article!

4. kkitchel23 on November 13th, 2017 1:09 pm

Great article! Choosing a college is definitely a huge decision. You’ll want to make sure that you go to a place that best suits you because that is where you will be spending the next four or more years at. I hope you choose the best college for you!

5. Mack Appleton on November 13th, 2017 1:10 pm

I really liked how you explained your thought process on the decision you’ll be faced with. I am having troubles deciding for sure on a college also. I have always wanted to go to Purdue, but over the past few months I have really started taking an interest in Wabash. The small campus feeling would make the college experience would allow you to get to know more of your classmates, but the large campus offers many more activities. Good luck in making your final decision! Great article!

6. Luke Hammond on November 14th, 2017 9:12 am

I thought this was a very informative piece. This article gives readers a look at what us seniors are all struggling with when we are deciding what school we want to go to. This also shows how plan change so quickly because of the different lifestyles we get offered, and I really liked reading about someone else’s perspective on what they are looking for in a school.

7. Jordan Henry on November 15th, 2017 8:36 am

I genuinely loved reading your article. I like how you explained everything that is happening. I had a clear understanding as to why you like each college. I hope that you get in, good job.

8. Olivia Salyers on November 15th, 2017 1:45 pm

I totally relate with this article! Picking a college is difficult and confusing and making the final decision is something I am excited and scared for. I don’t think anyone finds the “perfect” college but it’s difficult to know which one is the best for you. I love that you explained your thought process through it all. Great article!

*

What Do You Mean I Have To Pick One?