Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

Cheesy smile because of winning the $250 renewable scholarship at IUK!

As being a junior in high school, it’s strange to think that college is right around the corner. This is the year that you have to think about your credits and see if you meet all of the requirements in order to graduate high school. This is also the year where we are “supposed” to be finding scholarships to apply for to get the money to continue the education we desire after high school. Knowing me, I look for any opportunity I can get to apply for college money. I need the money so I don’t have to find the killer of a murder mystery to get money for college. I never applied to a lot of scholarship opportunities, but the one I applied for changed my perspective about scholarships forever.

Senior Maddie Hoff and I decided to apply for the Indiana University of Kokomo’s Creative Writing Contest where any junior or senior in the Cass County area could submit a type of short story or a poem of his/her creation. We both love to write to express ourselves as individuals and also have fun with our writing so why take the opportunity for a scholarship for granted? I love to write about my struggles over the years and how to conquer them whereas Maddie loves to write beautiful poems that has a spark of imagination and wonder. With us being opposites in our writing, we were so excited to put our work to the test for this scholarship event. Hoff decided to use her poem “Beauty” for the contest and I used “An Open Letter to My Anxiety” for the prose side of the contest and each of the two categories gave two scholarships out for first, receiving $500 renewable scholarship, and second place for a $250 renewable scholarship. Not only the winners received scholarships, but they also get to published in their yearly literature publication The Field: a Journal of Arts and Science. How awesome is that?

When we first arrived, we got the chance to get a brief tour of the campus and the campus was just amazing for a college campus that is nice to be in a relative close distance from home. IUK has expanded its variety of classes from being a LPN or RN nurse to the new incoming class for criminal justice. This college just keeps growing and growing for students from all over and trust me,it’s a very nice college. After the tour we all got to sit with our families while the contest began.

The main director of the English classes along with the English teachers there at IUK gave everyone recognition for entering the contest. Having my doubts, I felt that it was the last time I would stand and be recognized that night. They started off with the poetry side of the contest first with two girls from Kokomo High School winning the scholarships and just listening to their work was just flat out amazing. They were so good that Maddie and I looked at each other in awe! Even though Maddie didn’t get the scholarship, we were all really proud of her! Next was the last event of the night: Prose Scholarships. I was skittish in my seat with awkward sweaty hands as the director was starting to announce the second place winner. The next thing I know is that I stood up from my seat hearing cheers and applause as I was the $250 scholarship recipient! I was so excited and nervous at the same time I tripped over my chair and as I read my story out loud I didn’t use the microphone because my voice is already loud and annoying enough! It felt like I made my family and school proud. This was definitely a night to remember. 

So my advice to all of you writers and students that want their voice heard, write your heart out. Writing is a beautiful thing, whether it’s about passion and hope or a time of struggle. Writing will get you places and make your voice heard. If you’re lucky enough, you might be able to get creative with writing at IUK just as Maddie and I did!

1 Comment

One Response to “Getting Creative with Writing at IUK”

1. Mr. Smith on November 29th, 2017 9:30 am

Great job, Megan and Maddie! What a great accomplishment. Cass is proud to have the two of you!

*

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

GTA 5 with my Brother

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

When Should You Tell Kids About Santa

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

The Final Straw

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

To My Younger Sister

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

The Long Awaited Winter Break

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

Making a Decision

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

The Gift of a Coach

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

My Family Christmas Tree Experience

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

The Season Of Winter Guard

• Getting Creative with Writing at IUK

Drama Club

Getting Creative with Writing at IUK