Filed under Student Life

How much is too much?

If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be? Would you say funny, silly, or clever? What about serious, intelligent or thoughtful? For me, they would be exacerbated, tired, even overwhelmed.

As a freshman, my plate is full. From August to November, I have started participating in Golf, Robotics, Dive, Drama, Leo’s club, Girl Scouts, Marching Band and Winter Winds.  At least four of these call for Monday-Friday practices. I have no study hall and I still have to get my homework done each night. It’s not easy.

I always am thinking about college: where I want to go, what I could do to get accepted. I know that I could change what I want, so I try to have a diverse set of classes and activities. From engineering to journalism, I try to do as much as I can even if it means my plate is full.

The activities that I take part in tend to overlap or have just enough time between them that if I leave as soon as one is done, I may make it to the next. For example, Drama ends at 7 pm and Girl Scouts starts at the same time in Galveston. I often am rushing from activity to activity trying to make it on time. Is it too much? With all of my classes and activities, I have a very little amount of free time. I have not read a book in over a month, and if you know me, that’s very out of the ordinary.

Why do we do this to ourselves? We become so over scheduled with homework, classes and extracurricular activities that we work ourselves till we have to check our calendar just to say hi. Even when we do have free time, everyone else is just so… busy.  

It’s like we have inflicted a disease upon ourselves that we don’t know about till it’s too late. We think about our free time as what we don’t have going on. If we don’t have something going on, then we have to fill that time to avoid boredom. After it’s filled, we think of free time as a gift where we can relax, hang out with our friends, and have an undictated schedule. What time we do have to just hang out, we waste it by watching tv or playing on our electronics.

I think that the amount of time it took me to write this article is enough proof that people tend to take on a bit much. Maybe if we can learn to cherish the quiet, unscheduled way of life without wasting it, we can slow down our pace and preserve what we have.