Filed under Features

E-day Competition

Most people spend their E-learning day sleeping in and working on their assignments at home in the afternoon. This was not the case for the students who went on the FFA field trips last Wednesday. They woke up early and made their way to Purdue University to compete against all of the other FFA chapters in the area.

The crops, forestry, and entomology contests all happen at the same each year. This means that the students wanting to participate can only be a part of one of the three contests. It also means that a large number of students go on this field trip compared to most where only one contest is held.

The crops contest consists of grain grading, a multiple choice test, seed identification, and plant identification. I always picked this contest because I see it as the most useful. Our chapter’s top team took 5th place in the FFA contest and sits as an alternate for the state contest. Wyatt Helms led the team with 9th overall in the contest while Cole Appleton and Mallory Minnick placed 14th and 19th. Brooklyn Miller was a fourth member of the team. The team that participated in the Jr crops contest placed 3rd place and earned a spot as a state alternate. This team consisted of Cade Mennen, Eric Hardy, and Morgan Sailors. They placed  7th, 11th, and 16th.

The forestry contest consists of leaf identification, seed identification, and a multiple choice test over various forestry related questions. The forestry team placed 5th place in the FFA contest. Corbin Adams placed 18th, and Levi Hill, Ben Vandeberg, and Jaela Woolington also were a part of that team.

The entomology contest consists of identifying insects by order, family, and common name and identifying insect damage to crops, livestock, stored products, and homes on a multiple choice test.  The FFA team got 2nd place at the contest with Hannah Young being 6th overall, Kate Gremelspacher being 8th, and Jacey Grimm being 16th. The team our chapter took to the Jr entomology contest came in first place 1st place. The team consisted of Tristin miller, placing 2nd, Aleigha Rodabaugh,placing 3rd, and Kassidy Henry, placing 6th. Two individuals also went to the contest and did very well Cana Jones. Kaylie Williams placed 4th and Jocelyne Radtke placed 7th.