Filed under Student Life

The Undefeated Uniforms

I still remember when we first saw them. After a concert, one of the big popular jocks came out wearing our old retro uniforms. The uniforms that had won us so many shows. The uniforms we had been using since the old band directors were here. Everyone cheered passionately.  With the powerful, bold black and red colors, not to mention the sequined satch and shoulder pads made the wearer look tall and powerful. The helmet had a tall black feather which made you look threatening. We looked like you could go off to war… and win. We all love the old uniforms. What’s there to change?

Then, a shorter, smaller, less known guy hopped up on stage. Everyone went silent except for the few clapping. He had a more modern look… but was that a good thing? He had the stuck out shoulders, and the similarities stopped there. In place of a helmet was a shako with a tall white plume. The colors ranged from white to black. For the arms, he had a blue shirt. Everyone was speechless. We just got a new director. So much change, so soon. Many band members had their sisters, and in some cases parents wear those uniforms. Why did we have to change?

When the season started, we wore the old uniforms. We still had to raise money for the new ones, but I was happy I got to experience them. The old ones were somewhat difficult to get on and off though. They were hotter and heavier for the intricate moves we had to do. Regular marching was nice, but Mr. Muth wanted to add crazy moves that I don’t know how to spell.

When we wore our new uniforms, we had never practiced in them. We were on our way to the Bands of America competition and were very nervous. With the new uniforms, we could move so much easier and were way less hot. We looked pristine and immaculate. This was the first time we would get to wear an unused uniform.

Half-way through the day we headed to our next competition at Whiteland with great news. We won BOA! Everyone was so happy. As we finished our show, again in the uniforms, we got the same news. We won by a landslide!  As we performed our final show of the day. We were all very happy.

My favorite part about the uniforms is that they are interchangeable. The blue undershirt can be changed to match the theme of the show. We can move easier and are at a more tolerable temperature. Rather than having ten pins to hold up our pants, we have buttons and removable pieces to fit each person easily.

Everyone was talking. The mood of the uniforms had shifted drastically. Everyone was so excited. For every competition afterwards, we were looking down at our rivals. We were winning competition after competition. As we left Lucas Oil, having just won everything, we joyously put away our undefeated uniforms, awaiting next season.

2 Responses to “The Undefeated Uniforms”

1. Cjay74 on December 19th, 2017 9:56 am

I really love the emotion you portrayed in this article. I was intrigued that the new uniforms are easier to move in. Great article! Keep up the great work!

2. Brooks Hensley on December 20th, 2017 9:12 am

I really loved your article Jordan! You put a lot of thought and emotion into this article and really told how you felt. You know that I’m apart of the band as well, but I just have a huge passion towards this band. Getting these new uniforms made me believe that this season was going to be a big turn around, and it was. I was glad to wear this uniform in it’s first year. But great article Jordan! Really enjoyed it!

*

• The Undefeated Uniforms

Getting Shot With My Own Fear

• Student Life

Growing Up

• The Undefeated Uniforms

And Then They Said “I Do”

• Student Life

High Heels to Toes Up

• The Undefeated Uniforms

Collected Memories From Home

• The Undefeated Uniforms

Cherished Memories

• The Undefeated Uniforms

Changing over time

• Student Life

Saying Goodbye to an Inspirtationalist

• The Undefeated Uniforms

October 2018 Playlist

• The Undefeated Uniforms

Homecoming Week Video

The Undefeated Uniforms