Filed under Student Life

A Whole New World Full of Accomplishments

Everyone has felt success and accomplished something he has experienced in his life: scoring the winning point for a basketball championship game, winning a big scholarship, getting recognized for an outstanding essay, or earning a perfect score on a big test. This sense of success and accomplishment happens at a different time in everyone’s life; for some people, it can happen as young as kindergarten, but for others it may not happen until they’re well into or past their high school years.

For me, this experience of success and accomplishment came during my sophomore year of high school. It wasn’t until then that I had felt as if I was good at something and successful. As a kid growing up, my mom would tell me good job and she was proud of me, but she only did that because she had to since she was my mom. I also grew up with a younger brother who was better than me at EVERYTHING; my brother received better grades than I did, my brother was better at sports, my brother was better at making friends, there wasn’t much I was better than him at doing. Therefore, I never felt much success or accomplishment because my younger brother of two years was always one upping me. This may have caused some self confidence issues for me, but I never let it get in my way too much.

I first felt success and accomplishment through my writing. After writing one of my best articles for the Kings’ Courier, I had people tell me how much they enjoyed my writing and how proud they were of me. They were telling the same things my mom had told me, but this time it was different because it wasn’t just coming from my mom. My mom also told me she was proud of me and that it was a job well done, but my ultimate breaking point of accomplishment was when my dad told me how good he thought I had done and how proud he was of me. I’ve also looked up to my father for several different reasons and I always try to make him proud with everything I do, so to hear him say this really made me feel as if I had accomplished something.

When I finally experienced my success and accomplishment, a whole new world opened up for me. I suddenly had more self confidence in everything I did, not just my writing. This all really impacted me and made me realize that I really do make people proud.

5 Responses to “A Whole New World Full of Accomplishments”

1. Paul Woolever on December 19th, 2017 7:29 pm

Josie,
    You have always made me proud in everything you do. You have always been the best big sister that siblings could ask for. Your brother has you to thank for a lot of his success. You have always been there to help him when he needed someone. You are the best. You make me so proud everyday, I wish we could give you all everything that you deserve.

Love you so much,
    Dad

2. Kelsey Wise on December 20th, 2017 8:09 am

Really great article! I am glad you have accomplished so much more than you had expected to this year! Hard work does pay off and confidence is a great factor to have when having a goal and making people proud! I love your article!! Great job!

3. Nora Spitznogle on December 20th, 2017 1:22 pm

Josie,

I love that you have found a personal sense of accomplishment through writing – I didn’t find that until I was in my 40s. No matter what you do in life, the ability to expressing yourself will lead to success. Keep writing!

Cousin Nora

4. mdish72 on January 8th, 2018 10:16 am

Great article Josie! I’m glad that you have accomplished so many things! Just always know that you’re the oldest sibling in your family and from the looks of it, they really look up to you! Well done!

5. McKayla Thompson on January 10th, 2018 1:29 pm

I love this article! I have felt the same feelings you have. I have always felt that my sister does everything better than me and she is the favorite child. I love that you have found accomplishments through writing. Great article!

*

• A Whole New World Full of Accomplishments

Getting Shot With My Own Fear

• Student Life

Growing Up

And Then They Said “I Do”

• Student Life

High Heels to Toes Up

Collected Memories From Home

Cherished Memories

Changing over time

• Student Life

Saying Goodbye to an Inspirtationalist

October 2018 Playlist

Homecoming Week Video