Top 5 New Year Resolutions

According to the dictionary, a resolution is a firm decision to do or not to do something. On New Year’s day, people across the nation pledged resolutions for the upcoming year. As many know, these resolutions don’t tend to stay true much longer. With that being said, these next five resolutions tend to be the most common goals across the world.

1. Lose weight- Being honest, most people want to be able to go the gym and get some sort of workout in every day, but most do not have the time, the mindset to get out off the couch, or the consciousness to make an effort to reach their goal. As statistics show, most gym memberships go unused after the month of February. Well, I guess they stuck to the goal for one-sixth of the year.
  2. Get organized- As a future college student, this resolution definitely intrigues me. Whether deleting old emails or organizing the desk, people tend to desire some sort of order. Organization tends to be most popular for businessmen and other careers consisting of chaotic days. Also, this resolution pertains to students as well. Personally, my academic life needs to be in some sort of order. Without any order, my study time and other necessities might fuse together causing even more chaos. Organization seems to be the key to a somewhat relaxing lifestyle.
  3. Travel- As a kid, I loved to travel everywhere. When we traveled to Florida over spring break, a smile never left my face. Traveling brings so much happiness. For example, I visited Madrid and Barcelona in Spain. This trip felt so relaxing and much needed even though I constantly traveled to places in the cities. Traveling may be good for those who want time away from home, who are retired, or who simply want a new experience without being in a small town. Personally, I love this resolution because who wouldn’t want to see the world?
  4. Stay away from smartphones- Today’s society revolves around the advancing technology of the nation. As new phones and other technologies develop, people become dependent technology. Teenagers tend to be the ones who develop this obsession. By keeping this resolution, people’s lives might become more peaceful rather than full of the drama, which tends to occur quite often with technology. I encourage all teenagers to take on this resolution and see the difference the absence of technology might have on life.
  5. Get more sleep- Oh, boy! Who doesn’t love sleep? Does anyone remember hearing everyone must get at least nine hours of sleep? Well, if anyone lives like me, he might be up until one o’clock in the morning studying or binge-watching the newest season of “Black Mirror.”  Nine hours of sleep seems like a great idea with no sense of realism. For example, I remember staying up until dawn studying for my finals. The first weekend of winter break, I slept for fifteen hours. Yes, I said fifteen. Ten plus five. One, five. My body needed the break and needed to recuperate. The idea of retaining a good nine hours each day seems to not be realistic for anyone especially students.

Resolutions, in theory, seem to be a great idea; however, most people don’t stick to their plans. My new year’s resolution seems pretty obvious. I desire to graduate and walk into my freshman year of college with a positive attitude. I wish everyone the best of luck in continuing these resolutions. Good luck and happy 2018!

1 Comment

One Response to “Top 5 New Year Resolutions”

1. McKayla Thompson on January 12th, 2018 8:51 am

Great article Holly! The top five resolutions are spot on with some that were mine this year. However, last year mine only lasted for a month. I like how you described each resolution in a good and humorous way!

*

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

A Youth Group Experience

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

My Dog Prince

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

January is the Worst

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

A look back at 2017

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

New Year Resolutions

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

The Sport of Pheasant Hunting

• Courier Top Feature

I’ve Got the Meat Sweats

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

Adopt Not Shop

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

Save the Bees

• Top 5 New Year Resolutions

Makings of a Serial Killer

Top 5 New Year Resolutions