The SAT is Bogus

Have you taken your SAT yet? Didn’t you know it’s the most important thing you’ll ever do in your life!? Wait, no it’s not. The SAT test seems to control and dictate every junior or senior high schooler planning on going to college on what they should and shouldn’t be doing to “prepare for college.” Well here’s my unpopular opinion, the SAT is BOGUS. The last two years have been full of preparing and studying for this test, causing me tons of stress and tears over whether or not I’m going to be able to pay for my college of choice let alone get in. All this just so a group of people I don’t know can judge me and put a number above my head to tell me what I’m worth. That’s not right to me.

In most interviews, the interviewer will ask, “What are some words to describe yourself?” Most people would say things like outgoing, creative, or inventive, but could one imagine the shock of someone answering with “1240” as an answer? No, probably not. However, this is the way CollegeBoard tries to perceive us to our colleges. “Well, she has good reading comprehension, but struggles in analyzing data in charts.” Wouldn’t one much rather prefer things like, “she is very creative and always thinking on her feet, and she is very dedicated and will work until the job gets done.”  The SAT doesn’t portray things like this through the test. If someone were to look at me based on the test, he probably wouldn’t think I’m very intelligent. Slow worker, weak math skills, and no sense of math word problem skills would appear on my paper.

On another note, how much money have you given to college board just trying to get that perfect test score? Thousands of students pay for test prep sessions, SAT study guide books, and the test itself. Collegeboard, the “non-profit” organization, is making $200,000,000 revenue and $60,000 profit every year (patch.com). Collegeboard has a complete monopoly over test taking; their secret is capitalizing on student’s worries about, as I said, getting the perfect test score.

Almost every single college in America requires students to take the test in order to be accepted. “The College Board is capitalizing on the perceived and exaggerated importance of the SATs,” said Bob Sweeney, an experienced guidance counselor in Mamaroneck High School in New York.. Think about how hard everyone studies for the SAT and how hyped up the entire thing is- where is all your money going? Ask yourself, is Collegeboard really trying to give me an equal and healthy test experience? Not to mention, if a low income student wants to go to the same college as a high income student, who will have the advantage on the test? The boy who can buy study guides and a tutor, or the kid who has no idea how to prepare for the test because he can’t afford the online practice test sessions? Overall, the kid who can prepare for the test will get a better score and have a more likely chance of getting into the college.

The SAT is infuriating especially to one who has been through the corrupted and warped process of it all. Collegeboard does not represent the morals it claims to have. They claim education-equality but they clearly give wealthier kids advantages and take advantage of every opportunity they get to make extra money. Many colleges are beginning to lean away from relying on test scores as the only alternative. The SAT is bogus, and I hope to one day see a time when kids can go to college based off other factors than scores from a money-driven, corrupted test.

10 Responses to “The SAT is Bogus”

1. Brady Johnson on January 23rd, 2018 12:00 pm

Nice article! I agree with you and how the test should not be the main factor. I think the person’s abilities should be one of the main factors. I like how you brought in the amount of money they obtain per year. Good work!

2. Hannah Young on January 23rd, 2018 12:59 pm

Great article Mari. Being only a sophomore, I have not taken the SAT yet, but I still know all of the stress that comes with it. I am not looking forward to stressing over one test that can predict my whole life. I like the great insight you into your article as well.

3. Josie Woolever on January 24th, 2018 3:54 pm

Great article! I know I definitely stressed over my first SAT test this year more than I should have. I highly agree with you that it’s unfair to students that a simple test is the deciding factor on whether they get into a school or not. I especially find this unfair because not every student is a good test taker. Nice job Mari!

4. Holly Widner on January 26th, 2018 11:31 am

This is a great article! I like how you explained how they don’t necessarily practice what they preach for the SAT. I’ve taken it too many times just trying to do better than before. Great article!

5. Kirstyn Kiger on January 28th, 2018 12:38 pm

This is such a good article, Mari! In high school we are taught to realize that a number will define us. Whether it is our GPA, class rank, or SAT scores, a number is the one thing that makes us stand apart from one another. The education system placed in America is bogus all together. I too hope that future generations have an even playing field when it comes to college decisions.

6. Caleb Johnson on January 30th, 2018 1:24 pm

I really liked this story Mari! I think the SAT is a big test, but we could do away with it. It is very stressful knowing that it is one of the deciding factors of whether you get into a school or not. Great Article!

7. Mack Appleton on January 30th, 2018 1:50 pm

I liked how you included how students of higher income families can better prepare themselves with tutors, practice tests, and multiple test sessions. Seeing my friends go to tutoring sessions and taking the test multiple times, I became worried that I would not be ready for the test because I could not afford such things. The SAT is a test that revolves around money, giving some students an upper hand, and can be very stressful to some. Great article Mari!

8. mdish72 on January 31st, 2018 8:51 am

Great article! The SAT really takes a toll on people, especially overstressed girls. The SAT makes worthless money and is a big joke. Hopefully schools keep realizing that tests don’t define us. Well done!

9. Bill Isaacs on February 1st, 2018 7:40 am

Great job Mari. You have captured the essence of the issues related to the SAT. In addition, research indicates the “other factors you referenced are much better indicators of success than the SAT score. I am glad you wrote this article to motivate others to look at the true value of the test. Proud of you!

10. McKayla Ramsey on February 7th, 2018 2:08 pm

I can totally relate with your article because I spent lots of money and time on prepping for the SAT and only so I could get scholarship money. It was completely stressful and a poor evaluation of us as people. Great article!

*

• The SAT is Bogus

Courier Top Opinion Article

Stuck in The Maze

• The SAT is Bogus

Courier Top Opinion Article

Have You Ever Tried To Stop Thinking?

• Courier Top Opinion Article

Firearms: A Major Part of My Life

• Courier Top Opinion Article

Suffrage

• The SAT is Bogus

Courier Top Opinion Article

New Years “Failed” Resolution

• Courier Top Opinion Article

(Some catchy title about E-learning)

• The SAT is Bogus

Courier Top Opinion Article

Oprah as President?

• The SAT is Bogus

Courier Top Opinion Article

Technology: Taking Over the Generation

• The SAT is Bogus

Courier Top Opinion Article

College: Who can afford it?

• The SAT is Bogus

Courier Top Opinion Article

What it’s like to be in a military relationship

The SAT is Bogus