Filed under Student Life

An Open Letter to My Unexpected Best Friend

“But life has a habit of taking those you want closest and throwing them across oceans.”

Dear Blanca,

You came into my life out of nowhere. I only knew of you from volleyball but never spoke to you. I guess I never really thought of becoming friends with you at first. I would always spend time with my other friends but never asked if you wanted to tag along; however, the day you asked me to spend time with you at a football game changed everything. My life seemed to be just fine without meeting you but as soon as I did, I realized I was missing something. I was missing a best friend. Now, I get to call you my best friend and just a few months ago I never knew you.

I never knew someone could impact my life in such a short amount of time, but you proved me wrong. You make my problems your problems. You make me smile when all I want to do is cry. You make me laugh until my stomach hurts. Most of all, you have never left my side through everything and I want to tell you thank you. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on. Thank you for hanging out with me every single day. Thank you for looking out for me when nobody else would. Thank you for laughing at my terrible jokes. Thank you for eating food with me nonstop as if it were a daily task. Thank you for being the sister I have never had. You have made my life packed full of adventure. Sometimes I wonder how I ever survived without you. Not only am I thankful for all you do for me, but I am thankful for our memories we have shared together, the memories I’ll cherish forever.

You’re the person I scream at the top of my lungs with, in the car, jamming out to the radio. You’re the person who knows more about me than anyone in this world. You’re the person who I can trust with my life. You’re the first person I vent to everyday. You’re the person who I can call at 1 a.m. and talk for multiple hours about life. You’re the person I can talk to about anything and never judge me. You’re the person who changed my life in a matter of seconds. Most importantly, you’re my person and nothing will ever change that, but sadly in a few months life will get a little harder than we think as you head back to Spain; however, I know that no matter what hardships we’re about to face, we will face them together.  

In June,  you’re leaving me and I don’t think I am ready to say ‘see you later.’ Just like that, in five months you’re going to be 4,159 miles away from me. Blanca, it’s going to be difficult without you everyday. Time has flown by with you and our final moments together are coming up quicker than I thought. I will shed many tears knowing that I am losing you; however, I will smile knowing that you are back with your family who you have missed this past year. The day you go back is the day I will lose half of me. Blanca, I will miss you so much. I won’t be complete without you, but I will never forget you. I will always remember our wonderful adventures we took, our hours of crying over boys, and our spontaneous trips we took to Goodwill. You will always be my best friend. I will always love you as if you were my sister, but life without you won’t be easy. I won’t be able to talk to you about drama, pick you up for random road trips, or hug you when life gets hard. Just know, goodbye will hit me like a wall, but I will always be a phone call/text away. It’s not going to be the exact same anymore. As time passes, we will meet new friends, get caught up in our lives, and may go weeks without talking, but nobody will ever replace you Blanca Ros Rey.

Love,

Your Best Friend From America

4 Responses to “An Open Letter to My Unexpected Best Friend”

1. McKayla Ramsey on February 5th, 2018 9:46 am

There is something so special about international friends and making bonds like this one is what having exchange students is all about. You did an amazing job of sharing the bond you and Blanca have, great article!

2. McKayla Thompson on February 6th, 2018 10:58 am

This is such a great article! It is so sad to see exchange students have to leave. It is incredible how close we can become with someone in such a short time. I loved all the details in your story! Good job Ashli!

3. Jordan Henry on February 7th, 2018 3:07 pm

This is so sweet. It’s sad when you lose a friend. Great job portraying your story. Good job.

4. Kelsey Wise on March 9th, 2018 2:27 pm

I really like your story. Annie Daily and I have been so close, and I came into her life unexpectedly just as Blanca came into yours, and I cannot imagine how hard it will be when she leaves for you. Best friends have a different impact on a persons life that no one else can understand, well written!

*

• An Open Letter to My Unexpected Best Friend

Dan’s Donuts

The Gift of Adopting A Dog

My Favorite Hello and My Hardest Goodbye

A Concert to Remember

The Start of Something New

New Experiences Lead to Great Memories

Becoming Bilingual

Lake Barkley: A Trip to Remember

• Student Life

An Open Letter to the Upcoming Juniors

Saying Goodbye To Bauer