Jackson Starts Track Season with a Mindset to Win

Senior Lexi Jackson, a mere runner of three years, has shown exemplary skill in cross country and track and field over the years. She has shown her natural born athleticism and talent for the sport by advancing to regional and semi-state in both track and cross country the past two years. This year Jackson hopes to have a promising season full of time drops and hopefully advancements to state so she has something to carry with her next year at college.

Jackson has not stopped running since she began cross country her sophomore year. Every winter and every summer she runs everyday to improve her skill. This is why she dropped almost four minutes off her 5k time from sophomore year to junior year.

“Physically you have to build a base. The more you run in the off season the better you become in the actual season,” said Jackson. “I believe to have a good off season to be great during season. If you run in the off season you automatically have an advantage to those who do not. Mentally, I think I am better off by working during the off season as well because I know I have worked hard to be where I am.”

In the past, cross country has been the stronger of her two sports. Sometimes the timing for track isn’t right or perhaps she was running and training for the wrong events for her skill set, but the past two track seasons have been mediocre compared to her outstanding cross country seasons. This year, she’s hoping to turn that around.

Jackson stated, “I have a lot of goals for this season. It’s my last season so I’m just trying to get better and have fun for college next year.”  

Jackson has committed to Lewis University for cross country and track next year. As a freshman, who played volleyball and softball, she probably never imagined an opportunity like this would come along, let alone taking it. Lewis University is a private D2 college outside of Chicago, Illinois.

“It wasn’t a hard decision for me to decide to run in college. For some people, it’s hard for them to figure out if they want to play a sport, but for me, it’d be hard to imagine myself not playing a sport. I’ve loved the last three years so much and I am excited to improve and add four more years to my running career.”

Wish Lexi and her fellow teammates good luck as they journey through this season! Their season begins Monday with their first practice.

2 Responses to “Jackson Starts Track Season with a Mindset to Win”

1. cjoll79 on February 20th, 2018 9:01 am

Great article Marisol. I like how you got a quote from her about the off season. I also like how you said which college she is going to go to and that she is doing a sport in college. Once again Great Articles.

2. Caleb Johnson on February 23rd, 2018 1:26 pm

You did an amazing job of explaining how Lexi had just started running a few years ago and now has the mindset of a champion. To me it sounds like she is definitely ready for the season and is going to blow away her competition. You girls’ track team sounds tough so far, I wouldn’t be surprised if you went really far. Great Article Mari!

*

• Jackson Starts Track Season with a Mindset to Win

Courier Top Sports Article

Softball Injuries

Courier Top Sports Article

Play For Pink

Courier Top Sports Article

Making Memories On The Water

Courier Top Sports Article

Pacers Surge Through Game 1

Courier Top Sports Article

A New Interest

Courier Top Sports Article

After the (Men’s) Madness

Courier Top Sports Article

Lady Kings Track Rossville Meet Recap

Courier Top Sports Article

Boys’ Tracc Takes Close Second

Courier Top Sports Article

Serving Up Another Season

• Courier Top Sports Article

The Problem With Indoor Tournaments