Finding a College Roomate

Part 2 of Making a Decision

When I finally made a college decision, I immediately started looking for a roommate. Finding a complete stranger to live with for nine months is hard; luckily, many colleges have apps that help students meet others going to the same college. I downloaded the app for IU and started looking for someone who had the same interests as me. I got into a few group chats and added many people on social media. I started to worry a few weeks ago when I realized that housing opened this week. Finally, I met someone who I get along with very well and will live with for the school year to come.

I started talking to Makayla when she added me on Snapchat and started a conversation. I’d had many people add me and start conversations, but none of them really ended up going anywhere. I was hoping that I would find a roommate soon because housing was getting ready to open up. As I started talking to her more, I realized that we had a lot in common. She also didn’t have a roommate, so we decided that we would get to know each other more and room together if neither of us had roommates by the time housing opened up. We began to talk more and more, and I realized that we would get along very well. Recently we decided to be roommates and made a decision on where to live.
Makayla and I had to decide on which building and what style of room we wanted to live in. We both looked at our options and gave our opinions and talked about which dorm would be right for us. We looked at distance from classes and sports stadium to see how far we would be from places we would be going often. We agreed on almost everything and made a housing decision. We just finished filling out our application, and we will hopefully get the room of our choice.

I can’t wait to go through so many new experiences and make new friends next year. I couldn’t have picked someone better to do it with. Makayla and I get along very well and our personalities are very similar. I think we will have a lot of fun in college and we’ll always be considerate of the other. We have already talked about our hobbies and what we like to do in our free time, and I think we are a great pair. We both love to binge watch “Friends” and “Criminal Minds,” and we can’t wait to go to football games together. I think we will have a lot of fun going through our freshman year together.

Now that I have almost everything figured out for next year, I can’t wait to take on college with Makayla by my side. We get along very well and agree on almost everything. I can’t wait to go through so many new experiences with a new friend. We are both excited to be on our own and start a new chapter of our lives together in the fall.

4 Responses to “Finding a College Roomate”

1. Delanie Deeter on February 8th, 2018 9:57 am

To me living with a complete stranger would be terrifying! i’m glad you found someone that you feel comfortable with. College is a big step, and I’m very excited for you. Your article expresses the emotions many college students go through! Good Job!

2. Ajack75 on February 8th, 2018 9:05 pm

Finding a roommate is something I’ve been stressing about lately, but I figured I’ll probably just wing it and hope I end up with someone who I can at least tolerate. I’m excited for you that you found someone who you get along with so well and who you have so much in common with. Great article!

3. McKayla Ramsey on February 12th, 2018 10:18 pm

Deciding on a roommate is something that I have been worried about a lot lately because I still have yet to make a college decision. You did a good job of explaining the process of finding a roommate and this article will benefit a lot of the underclassman because they will have a better understanding than I did when going into the roommate hunt. Great article!

4. cjoll79 on February 15th, 2018 8:29 am

Great story Morgan I like how you described how you met Mckayla and how you described your similarities. Once again great story.

*

• Finding a College Roomate

Together we are Champions

• Finding a College Roomate

You Make It Easy

• Finding a College Roomate

A Lesson Learned from Champions Together

• Finding a College Roomate

An Open Letter to My Unexpected Best Friend

• Finding a College Roomate

An Open Letter to Myself

• Courier Top First Person Feature

An Open Letter to My Role Model

• Finding a College Roomate

An Open Letter to the Cheerleaders

• Finding a College Roomate

My Final Goodbye

• Finding a College Roomate

Officially A Boilermaker

• Finding a College Roomate

An Open Letter to the Ones I’m Leaving Behind

Finding a College Roomate