An Open Letter to My Brother

“Brothers are like streetlights along the road. They don’t make the distance any shorter but they light up the path and make the walk worthwhile.”

Dear Dalton,

Where has time gone? It seems as if yesterday you and I were arguing on who got to choose what the family would watch on TV while we ate dinner. We were quite the pranksters when we were little, always getting into trouble somehow. The amount of times mom or dad had to ‘separate’ us is countless. Not a day went by when we were younger that we didn’t argue or fight, but ten minutes later we would be perfectly fine. Even though we fought quite a bit, I still remember the times we shared together where we would laugh so hard until our stomachs hurt. I remember I couldn’t wait until you went to college so I didn’t have to deal with you aggravating me 24/7, but my mindset changed quickly as we grew up together. As the years progressed you became the person I would run to with all my problems, the person who protected me through all the horrible times, and the person who never judged me about the dumb decisions I chose to make. Most of all, you became my best friend.

At first, when you started to grow up, we didn’t spend as much time together because you were always with friends. I never knew what to do anymore because I always wanted to be around my ‘big brother’ and nobody else. I remember one night I cried to mom because you wouldn’t let me tag along with you and your friends; however, once you and I became older than 15, we spent a lot of time together. We created memories that nobody could ever replace and that I would cherish forever. I didn’t ever think the day you would leave for college would come so quick, until it did. I can remember the day as if it were yesterday. I was trying to stay strong and understand that you were going off to do bigger and better things, but you hugged me and I started to bawl my eyes out like a waterfall pouring down. In the beginning I got used to you being only an hour and a half away; however, you moved and that meant you were four hours away which took a toll on me for the worse and it still does to this day. I never knew how hard it would be without you until I went through a rough patch and didn’t have you there to comfort me. Even though life is still hard for me to get along without you, I have become a stronger person independently because I know that we may not always be in the same place; however, I know you will always be a call or text away.

Dalton, I can honestly say my life would be a complete train wreck without you, so thank you for being my brother. Thank you for never giving up on me when everyone else did. Thank you for making me smile when all I could do was cry over a boy. Thank you for being a jerk when we were little; this made me strong. Thank you for seeing me for the person I am even when I see all my flaws. Thank you for being my bodyguard. Most of all, thank you for being my role model. The older we get the more I realize that without you, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. You have helped shape me into the person I am today. You are the strongest, most defiant, and kind-hearted guy I have met. Don’t ever change for anyone.

Dalton, you never will understand how thankful I am that you are my brother. I love you with everything inside of me. The unbreakable bond we share will last until we’re old and grey wheeling around in our wheelchairs. Even if life gets hard and you want to give up, just know that your little sister is proud of you and supports you in everything you choose to do. Take care of yourself in this crazy world Dalt; your little sister worries about you.

Love Always,

Your Biggest Fan

9 Responses to “An Open Letter to My Brother”

1. Mack Appleton on February 26th, 2018 9:32 am

Great article Ashli. I like how you included that you guys would always argue, but at the end of the day you guys were best friends. You have noticed now more than ever how much siblings help each other grow and develop into much stronger individuals than they could be on their own.

[Reply]

2. mdish72 on March 1st, 2018 9:05 pm

Great article Ashli! I love how close you and your brother are! It’s amazing how much memories you guys have with one another and have a great relationship. We never notice how much our brothers mean to us until they grow up before us and leave for new opportunities. Well done!

[Reply]

3. Morgan Miller on March 5th, 2018 8:53 am

I totally understand what it’s like to have a sibling, who is also your best friend, leave and be hours away. It’s hard but you have to accept that they are doing what is best for their future. Great article!

[Reply]

4. Kelsey Wise on March 7th, 2018 2:54 pm

Really well written article! I have brothers as well, four actually, and I understand arguing with them but always being there for each other in the end. I truly believe my life would as well be a train wreck without my brothers too, I like how in depth you went into how significant he means to you. i really loved your article.

[Reply]

5. Gabe Eurit on March 7th, 2018 7:48 pm

Awesome article Ashli! I can relate to a lot of this having a brother of my own. I cannot count the number of times we have fought but we always seem to make up and love each other in the end. It is cool to see how similar families can be.

[Reply]

6. Mari Karmel on March 8th, 2018 9:33 am

I love this story. It presents a good representation of the relationship siblings have. My sister is my best friend as well and I can see some of the things you wrote about in her as well. Being so close in age to your sibling really helps build a great relationship! Great job!

[Reply]

7. Robin Asher on March 8th, 2018 11:27 am

ASHLI KEY! This is such a special piece! I was privileged to be a little part of both of you growing. It’s wonderful that you can share your feelings concerning Dalton. Great job!

[Reply]

8. Brannyn Spencer on March 8th, 2018 1:15 pm

I really like this article Ashli. It really shows what a great relationship you and your brother have. My brother went to college when I was in third grade so I can relate about not being as close. Great job!

[Reply]

9. Linda Cree on March 9th, 2018 7:46 pm

Ashli, what a wonderful tribute to Dalton. I smiled and had tears to read the love you have for your brother. Quite frankly, I think you compliment each other well and I think you are BOTH special. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and love…

[Reply]

• An Open Letter to My Brother

Alexander for County Council

• An Open Letter to My Brother

Noodle Arms

• An Open Letter to My Brother

Prom Stress

• An Open Letter to My Brother

“The Fish of a Million Casts”

• Courier Top First Person Feature