Interning-Part 2

Last semester I interned in the Physical Therapy unit of the Logansport Memorial Hospital. I decided to take a different approach this semester by going to a veterinarian . I am interning at AA Vetcare in Walton. I have always planned on going into the medical field, and I love animals so it seemed logical to explore every aspect and possibility. I am about three months into my new internship, and I absolutely love it.
Andrea Sinnamon is the vet at AA Vetcare. I have gotten to see her interact and treat many animals, and I would love to be able to do well and enjoy my career as she does. She is the only vet in the area that does acupuncture on animals. This draws in many patients who have animals with arthritis or chronic pain. Acupuncture is very fascinating- even on animals.
I can’t do a lot at my internship because I’m not professionally trained, but the AA workers do everything they can to let me help out. I typically weigh the animals, bring them back into rooms, and clean up the rooms after appointments. Every once in a while I get to make up medicine for them or take them outside. Because they’re animals, I get to observe more personal procedures than I would in a hospital. Sometimes if I’m lucky, I can even watch the doctor perform a surgery.
One of the best days at my internship so far was the day I watched a surgery. A dog came in with a harmful disease in one of its organs. Dr. Sinnamon thought it was the best option to take the dog into emergency surgery to get the diseased organ out as soon as possible. I was lucky enough to get to stay and watch. They went through the protocol and informed me of everything that I would need to know to observe the surgery. They told me to sit down if I felt faint and not to touch any of the sterile instruments. Luckily, I’m not squeamish, so watching the surgery didn’t bother me. This definitely helped me realize that I can go into a field where I will see a lot of ‘gross’ things and be okay with it. I’m sure that will help me decide on a career in the medical field that’s right for me.
Internships are an amazing opportunity. I always planned on going into the medical field with humans, but this internship opened my mind to going into a different field than I originally planned. I’m not 100% sure what I want to do as a career, but I hope that interning will help make that decision a little easier. I would encourage all younger students to try to get an internship as an upperclassmen and keep their minds open to fields they didn’t plan to go into because you never know what you might end up enjoying.

1 Comment

One Response to “Interning-Part 2”

1. Delanie Deeter on March 22nd, 2018 8:33 am

I thought about switching to this field second semester but I wasn’t for sure that I would like it. I think your article is a great inside look to show students who are interested in the Intern Program all that they are getting into. Seems like I missed a great opportunity! Thank you for sharing!

*

• Interning-Part 2

Alexander for County Council

• Interning-Part 2

Noodle Arms

• Interning-Part 2

Prom Stress

• Interning-Part 2

“The Fish of a Million Casts”

• Courier Top First Person Feature

What I Am Going To Miss The Most

• Interning-Part 2

Words of Advice From a Senior

• Interning-Part 2

Swimming With Stingrays

• Interning-Part 2

Why go to Rotary?

• Interning-Part 2

Weekend at Wabash

• Interning-Part 2

All Hail Purdue!

Interning-Part 2