Genes and Cancer

Have you ever heard of Sam Rhine? If you would’ve asked me that question Monday, I would’ve said no; however now that is changed. The AP Biology class and science club went to Lafayette Jefferson High School yesterday morning to see a presentation called “Genes and Cancer.” It started at 9:30am and went until 12:30pm; many would be bored at a three-hour lecture about biology and medicine; however I found it extremely interesting.
I learned so much about the new developments and advances that scientists have made in the biology field that I had no idea about. We started out by learning statistics about the likelihood and causes of cancer. To be completely honest, I didn’t even know what cancer was or how it formed, but now I know that genetic mutations are the most basic sense of cancer. I also know that too much mitosis-division of cells- or too little apoptosis-death of cells- are the causes of tumors. I wasn’t sure how much of the presentation I would understand, but I surprisingly understood it pretty well.
Rhine started out with the basics of biology and handed out outlines of his topics to make sure all of the students could follow the presentation. I thought I would be lost throughout the entire speech because he was a professor and was used to lecturing college students and talking to ivy league researchers, but I was surprised when I could pretty easily follow his lecture. I was even more surprised when I found the whole lecture intriguing.
Toward the end of the presentation, Rhine started talking about the future and what we should expect in medical advancements. He said he expects the amount of deaths by cancer to drop to zero within the next 25 years. At first I thought this was completely insane; it seems like so many people are dying of cancer, and we are nowhere near finding a cure- however that isn’t the case. Just recently at the University of Illinois, a doctor successfully removed all of the cancer cells of a woman with breast cancer through chemotherapy and removed all of the cancer stem cells(the cause of recurrence) by giving her a medicine to purge them.
I didn’t know about how many advancements we had made in finding a cure to each different kind of cancer until I heard Rhine’s presentation. Science is an up and coming field and needs many new, young college students to be willing to further research and develop cures for cancer. If you ever get the chance to go to a Sam Rhine conference, I would highly encourage going with an open mind and listening to what he has to say. You will learn a lot of modern medical advances and be informed of things you never knew were going on all around(and inside of) you.

2 Responses to “Genes and Cancer”

1. Jordan Henry on March 7th, 2018 9:26 am

Great article! It was very fascinating and intriguing. It’s really exciting to hear about the current advancements in medical technology. Nice job.

2. mdish72 on March 7th, 2018 9:43 am

Great article Morgan! I went on this trip as well and I learned so much! It’s amazing how science and the development of technology will change the world, especially cancer, in the next few years! I can’t wait to see the percentages of cancer go down as the years continue on! Well done!

*

• Genes and Cancer

Courier Top Opinion Article

My Parents: My Best Friends

• Courier Top Opinion Article

My Work Experiences

• Genes and Cancer

Courier Top Opinion Article

Should We Keep Libraries?

• Courier Top Opinion Article

No Regrets

• Courier Top Opinion Article

To the One Who Created My Darkness

• Genes and Cancer

Courier Top Opinion Article

The Book vs The Movie

• Genes and Cancer

Courier Top Opinion Article

Coach Marschand

• Genes and Cancer

Courier Top Opinion Article

Gun control

• Genes and Cancer

Courier Top Opinion Article

One Last Time

• Genes and Cancer

Courier Top Opinion Article

The SAT is Bogus

Genes and Cancer