Filed under Features

My Brother

My brother is not only my brother. Braxton is my number one role model. He has always worked very hard at whatever he does. He also is very caring and loves helping people. This is why going into the medical field was a great career choice for him.

Most students, going into high school, do not know what they want to do when they get older. My brother was different. He knew freshman year what career path he was going to take. I know personally I am a junior and still am clueless as to what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. Braxton took a health science class at the Logansport career center that helped decide what he wanted to do. He also took anatomy and physiology classes that he highly enjoyed assuring that the medical field was for him. He was very intrigued by how the body works and wanted to explore deeper into medical studies.

While in high school, he also did an internship at a doctor’s office. That was another main experience that finalized his decision. He did his internship at the Logansport Memorial Hospital in Dr. Bowditch’s office. At this internship, he was privileged to do and experience many different activities. He said that his favorite part of the internship was working with the patients. He was able to take the patients back to the rooms, get their vital signs, and checked their medication histories.

Once Braxton got to college, he took prerequisites that included math, humanities, writing, psychology, sociology, science, etc. Next he took actual classes learning about diseases and the nursing process. In his last few college years, he did his clinicals at a nursing home getting more real life experience. After finishing college, he got a job at Hematology/ Oncology Indy. He was the first male nurse they ever hired to work on the chemo floor to administer chemotherapy to patients. Our mom was also a patient there and he was able to give her iron treatments. He also has worked at IU Health University hospital as a staff nurse.

Braxton now assess diabetes patients’ educational needs, educates patients on diabetes, and develops plans for diabetes patients at Indiana University Health Methodist in Indianapolis. He is also doing online classes at University of Southern Indiana to receive his bachelor’s degree. He said that he really enjoys the environment of the nursing profession and he finds diabetes very interesting.