Filed under Student Life

An Open Letter to the People Who Have Hurt Me

Dear anonymous reader,

I’m still alive but I’m barely breathing. The statement that SEEMED to be my everything. This letter may not necessarily apply to you. Or does it? We all go through the possible heartbreak. Whether it’s a breakup with family, friends, or even with a relationship that may have happened. For some reason, it almost seems unnatural if your heart isn’t broken in some way. My biggest fear has always been opening up to people and letting them learn who I am. I will not continue to make that problem. I am the type of person who can seem to be broken and hurt quite easily this is not something that I am proud of. You, my friend, do not make it any easier. To me, it seems that my senior year has broken my barrier more than words will ever be able to explain. I considered my mental toughness one of my greatest strengths; I thrive for the day that I get that back and I will. I’m not the type of girl who forgives so easily. If someone breaks me, I stay broken. If someone hurts me, I stay hurt. I stay feeling hopeless and as if who I am is taken away from me. I have a bad habit of letting what people do or what they say control me. I let it take a toll on me emotionally it takes a burden on me. You were a burden that I no longer need to keep in my life.

They tell us that we have to have the bad days in order to love the good days even more, but what if some of us are tired of having those bad days? What if one day I want to wake up without a worry in the world of what could possibly happen to ruin my happiness. My rays of sunshine turned into cloudy days. You are toxic for me and I will no longer let you ruin my happiness. My mind works like a puzzle. Despite the situation, I always have a puzzle piece missing and feel the need to go out on a look to find that missing piece. The only problem that I have is, if I feel like the piece may complete the puzzle, I place it in the broken spot. I would place you or how you hurt me into that spot I thought you were my missing piece. Instead, you were a piece I tried to force when I shouldn’t have.That is a bad habit that I am trying to break. I cannot place every piece. The world works in ways we will never know we will never know what piece falls into that unfinished puzzle. If there’s one thing I can tell you, it would be that I’ve had those bad days more than I’ve asked for that is coming to an end.

For some reason, to you, I’m that girl that you can just take advantage of her feelings. Lately, my kindness has been mistaken for weakness, or so you think. My kindness makes me who I am and who I will continue to be. I will not let you ruin that for me, I will not let you bury me in your own hole of cowardness. I used to be tough enough that I really never cared what people thought of me. In a sense that I was so happy and content with myself. Now, I’m pretty sure that I used to question my worth every single day. That has to be the worst feeling ANYONE could possibly ever have. But guess what, we all have them, including myself. Note how I said USED TO question my worth. As selfish as this may seem, I learned that I am better than the pity you have brought upon me. I am learning to get rid of the toxic energy in my life that has been hurting me, setting me back, and simply making my life seem unhealthy, and I couldn’t have done it without you.

This one is for you, anonymous reader. Thank you. Thank you for showing me how vulnerable I appeared to be, but will no longer remain. Thank you for showing me that I’m not worth caring for as much as you show me I am worth much more. Thank you for showing me that my care for you, you DO NOT deserve. Not everyone deserves to know who I am on the inside and out. In general, not everyone deserves to know who I am. Thank you for showing me that not everyone deserves to know me.

Take Care,

The Girl You Will No Longer Hurt

2 Responses to “An Open Letter to the People Who Have Hurt Me”

1. Kelsey Wise on March 9th, 2018 1:44 pm

Really great story! it is always great to have confidence and to not care what others think and now that you have explained how you have felt over the years, I think it is great how determined you are to be yourself and stick to what you want out of life.

2. Ashli Key on March 20th, 2018 10:23 am

Outstanding article Mads! You did a wonderful job at putting everything you had and all your heart into this article and it shows. I think a lot of us can relate when we feel broken down for so long by someone who has hurt us, but your transition when you finally realized you deserved better was amazing!

*

• Student Life

An Open Letter to the Upcoming Juniors

• An Open Letter to the People Who Have Hurt Me

Saying Goodbye To Bauer

Goodbye For Now, My Best Friend

• Student Life

Slang Translator

Rosemary Todd Award Winner

Michaela Pullen loves being an RA at Ball State

Sorting Marbles

Alexander for County Council

Noodle Arms

“The Time Traveler”