Walk Up Not Out

With the recent Parkland, Florida school shooting, many schools nationwide have talked about implementing a “walk-out” movement in order to honor the seventeen victims. Within this movement, students are to walk out of class for seventeen minutes, one minute for each victim. This movement displays the message of grieving over the loss of the victims, but it does not do much to help prevent an act like this from happening in schools around the country. Here at Lewis Cass High School, SADD and the administration have come together to do more than just walk out of school. By doing more, they hope to show that an act of kindness can prevent someone from committing the same act of violence.

The “walk-up” movement is different from the “walk-out” movement in that it keeps students in school and tries to get them to associate with one another. By walking up, students are taking a pledge to include everyone within the school, no matter their differences. This movement is focused around making everyone feel included and not excluding someone to the point that he/she feels as if he does not belong. Lewis Cass has open arms to students from all backgrounds, and by implementing a movement like this, they are hoping to express the feeling of community to everyone.

Along with implementing this movement, Brooke Nelson, SADD Secretary,  has created a video that highlights those who lost their lives due to the Parkland shooting. This video is intended to show that the victims are just like us here at Cass and that something like this can happen anywhere. The video also helps to honor those who lost their lives in a more proactive way. By just walking out, students are not doing everything they can to honor the victims. With this video, the message will become more “real.” No longer are these victims just statistics; they have names, faces, and stories that need to be shared.

With both the Walk-Up initiative and the video, Lewis Cass hopes to put a face to such a devastating tragedy. Parkland, Florida had to face something no school ever wants to face, but with the right precautions, everyone hopes to eliminate these dreadful events.

7 Responses to “Walk Up Not Out”

1. McKayla Thompson on March 15th, 2018 12:50 pm

Great article! I think this was such a great and creative idea to honor those who died in the shooting. We did something that was outside of the box. I think it was a success for our school.

2. klewe90 on March 15th, 2018 1:00 pm

I really like the idea of the walk-up movement rather than the walk out movement. I think it does more than just honor the victims, but also work towards a change. I like how you explained how everything was set up and why you decided to do the walk-up movement instead. Great job!

3. Zach Fields on March 16th, 2018 1:08 pm

Great article Kirstyn! I think it’s cool that we did the “Walk Up” initiative. It seems like it can make a bigger impact then the “Walk Out” initiative. I think the video was great too. It was eye-opening.

4. Bodie St.Clair on March 16th, 2018 1:09 pm

Nice article! I’m glad that we did the “Walk Up” initiative instead of the “Walk Out.” By doing this I think that we caused more of a positive impact on our school. Great job Kirstyn.

5. cjoll79 on March 19th, 2018 8:40 am

Great article Kirstyn. I like how you described what we were doing here at Lewis Cass. I think it is good that people aren’t walking out, but instead walking up because that would cause less chance of a school shooting and less people walking out just to get out of school. Once again great article Kirstyn.

6. Drew Cornell on March 20th, 2018 1:53 pm

Nice artice, Kirstyn. The entire idea of walking up was a much better idea than walking out. I believe walking out posed a risk to everyone who stepped outside. A potential shooter could have injured the lives of many people. I think it is a great idea to get everyone involved not just on this day, but we should focus on reaching out more people everyday. Once again, nice job!

7. Caleb Johnson on March 22nd, 2018 1:05 pm

I thought this was a great article. I enjoyed how we made a positive effect on the walk up event. It was important that we decided to make a better environment for the school and its students. Great Article!

*

• Walk Up Not Out

Courier Top News Stories

IU Drunk Driver

• Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Honors Parkland Victims

• Walk Up Not Out

Courier Top News Stories

Marching Kings Receive Recognition

• Walk Up Not Out

Courier Top News Stories

Firefighter Training Class

• Courier Top News Stories

Poor Johns is BACK

• Walk Up Not Out

Courier Top News Stories

Kings’ Cast Becomes Daily

• Walk Up Not Out

Courier Top News Stories

State Champions at Last

• Courier Top News Stories

Kings Take On America

• Walk Up Not Out

Courier Top News Stories

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

• Walk Up Not Out

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Schools Earn an A

Walk Up Not Out