Filed under Features, Student Life

Teachers that have impacted me: Mr. Nagelhout and Mrs. Karmel

The review on Mrs. Karmel and Mr. Nagelhout

If You Never Try You'll Never Know

If You Never Try You'll Never Know

My coaches always tell me “if you never try you’ll never know” because if I don’t work hard I won’t get the outcome that I was looking for. Coaches impact athletes lives all the time. I have two coaches that have impacted my life, and they are Mr. Nagelhout and Mrs. Karmel.

Mr. Nagelhout (Nagel) teaches World History and Current Events at Lewis Cass High School. He also coaches track and football, but he has coached golf at one point too. He coached every year he has taught at Cass. He has coached football at West Lafayette High School for five years, four at Benton Central High School, and five here at Lewis Cass, which makes for a total of 14 years coaching–for those of you who only have ten fingers.

Coaching is full of special moments, which is a great satisfaction for every coach. Coaching a player that works as hard as he can at all times, watching such a player receive rewards, and seeing successes on and off the field are some of the special moments Nagel experienced.

Because it allowed his wife to continue the job she loved and because it was closer to home, he chose to teach and coach at Lewis Cass. Cass also offered him a great opportunity to learn and grow within the teaching profession.

“On my first year teaching, when I was offered the job here, I felt very comfortable with the community and the support I was going to receive here,” said Nagelhout.

He likes teaching World History and Current Events because he has a passion for sharing history with students.

“History holds to bear mistakes, victories, and life lessons that we all should understand and apply to our lives and thought processes,” said Nagelhout. He loves history because history can be interpreted in many different ways, and each one of us can put our own personal stamp on what happened.

Melanie Karmel teaches Spanish one, three, and Advanced Placement here at Lewis Cass High School. She loves teaching culture. She came to Lewis Cass because she believed it was a great place to raise her kids. This is her eighth year at Cass.

“Lewis Cass is a special place where parents and teachers care about kids,” said Mrs. Karmel.

Mrs. Karmel has been coaching at Lewis Cass since 2010. She coached volleyball for two years and she has coached swimming for 23 years. She loves coaching swimming; She believes that people learn so much more from being a swimmer than how to swim fast. She has former swimmers whose weddings she has been to and who have included her in their lives. It’s very special to have had meaning in the life of a student. She loves the memories she is able to make with kids through being their coach.

Mr. Nagelhout is my track coach and has made me run faster than I thought I could. Even though this is the first time I am having Mr. Nagelhout as a coach, he has been an amazing coach. Mrs. Karmel is my swim coach and has pushed me to improve, and the results are obvious that she has helped my swimming. I have had Mrs. Karmel as a swim coach for two years now, and each year I get stronger and faster than the year before.

These teachers have impacted me in ways I didn’t even think was possible. Mr. Nagelhout and Mrs. Karmel know about my bad right knee, but they still push me harder and make me go faster than I thought I could. Mr. Nagelhout expects me to run as fast as I can because I am a sprinter, but Mrs. Karmel expects me to swim as hard as I can because I am a distance swimmer, and I need to save my energy.

2 Responses to “Teachers that have impacted me: Mr. Nagelhout and Mrs. Karmel”

1. Kelsey Wise on March 21st, 2018 8:17 am

I really love your story Cole! It is always interesting to interview people and find out things that you didn’t know about that person. It is also really cool that you have formed a good relationship with your teachers! Really great job.

2. Caleb Johnson on April 9th, 2018 1:00 pm

Great Story Cole! I too believe that coaches are an immense help in our lives. They can help form our behaviors on and off the field, or in your case outside the pool. Both Mrs. Karmel and Mr. Nagelhout are great coaches and they push their kids to the limit which gives them an advantage. Great Article!

*

• Teachers that have impacted me: Mr. Nagelhout and Mrs. Karmel

Features

Mike Bauer Leaves His Mark

Features

Don Schlegelmilch: A Lasting Legacy

• Features

Mr. Jesse Wilson

Features

What I wish I Knew

Everyday Customer

Features

King of Kokomo

Senior Reality Day

Features

J-Day 2018

Features

My Thoughts of Dinosaurs

Features

J-Day 2018