Filed under Showcase

Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

College can be a stressful time for every teenager. Trying to find the most affordable yet impactful college experience can leave one running in circles; however, Ivy Tech offers several opportunities for students to get a head start on their education while saving money. Jovita Flores, the assistant director of admissions, and Beth Chaney, ASAP coordinator, explained how Ivy Tech is a great choice for students to begin their college careers.

Ivy Tech has campuses in Logansport, Kokomo, Muncie, Indianapolis, etc. In contrast to Logansport, Kokomo holds many classes specific to that campus. Ivy Tech offers many dual credit opportunities within the classes offered here at Lewis Cass. By taking these dual credit classes, students save $415, which is the typical price for classes at an Ivy Tech campus.

In addition to the typical college schedule, Ivy Tech offers a transfer general education pathway for students who are planning to attend a four-year university. Starting in the summer, students have the opportunity to take classes such as English composition, speech, sociology, and math. The classes last eight weeks in each block. Around the summer courses, the classes range from ten to twenty students. Especially for speech class, this low number may help students step out of their comfort zone in a welcoming environment. Jovita Flores said that most students find it easier to speak in front of a small group of people. At Purdue, students may have classes of 100 students. The small classrooms give students the opportunity to make the transition from high school to college a little easier.

In addition to Jovita Flores, Beth Chaney also shared a program known as ASAP- Associate Accelerated Program. This program allows Liberal Arts students to receive their associate degree in 11 months.

“Students transfer to their college into their junior year after one year at Ivy Tech,” said Chaney. 98% of ASAP graduates persist toward an associate or bachelor’s degree. 100% of students are accepted into one or more four-year colleges. In order to be accepted into this program, a student must have a GPA of 2.5 or better, a Core 40 diploma, and a good attendance record. The accelerated program helps students take a proactive and cheap pathway into the future. Normally, this program is at the Kokomo campus, but, due to renovations, the program will be at the Logansport campus in 2018. Overall, this program allows endless opportunities to students.

Finding the right college isn’t always easy. As we begin to step into the real world, we will need to figure out a way to continue our education in the most effective way. Ivy Tech truly offers great opportunities for everyone to succeed.

2 Responses to “Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities”

1. Zach Fields on March 20th, 2018 11:38 am

Great article Holly! Ivy Tech seems to be looked down upon by most high school students, but it is a much cheaper alternative to traditional public colleges. I heard about the ASAP program during a tour of an Ivy Tech campus last year. The ASAP program is very enticing to me because of the time and money it saves.

2. Morgan Miller on March 21st, 2018 10:51 am

I never knew there were so many affordable options for college until the Ivy Tech representatives came and talked to our class. I think it helped a lot of students realize that they had more choices than they originally thought. Great Article!

*

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Showcase

Kings’ Cast 04-20-18

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Showcase

Blazing Horseshoes

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Autism Awareness Month

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

His Locker – Two Doors Down

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Courier Top News Stories

Walk Up Not Out

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Showcase

Kings’ Courier March Madness Bracket Challenge

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Courier Top Opinion Article

Genes and Cancer

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Courier Top News Stories

Marching Kings Receive Recognition

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Features

Sergeant Keith Harris

• Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities

Foreign Family

Ivy Tech: Endless Opportunities