IU Drunk Driver

Spring break is a relatively quiet time on college campuses. Nearly all students go home or on vacation away from campus. This holds true for IU; many students are as far away from classes as they can get for a week of freedom. One night at the IU campus, however, was not so quiet. Luckily most students were gone for spring break when a drunk driver drove through the college campus.
Last Thursday in Bloomington, a 53 year old drunk driver from Brownsburg traveled to the Bloomington IU campus and hit the sample gates. He caused thousands of dollars worth of damage on campus. The man drove on the brick path and tried to drive through the arches, but his truck didn’t fit. He also hit an IU employee; the custodian, who stepped in front of the truck to get the driver to stop, only suffered minor injuries. Fortunately most students were off campus for spring break.
After driving through the sample gates, he drove through the Dunn woods, where a witness said he heard the truck hitting multiple trees. Then he took out a handrail on his way to Franking Hall before getting to the loading dock. When he got to South Indiana Avenue and 17th Street, the police finally stopped him.
According to Indiana Daily Student, when the police finally stopped and breathalyzed him, David E. Aldridge had a BAC of more than twice the legal limit. He was arrested and taken to the Monroe County Jail with charges of driving under the influence and leaving a crime scene. His bond is $1,500, and the estimated cost of repairs for the truck and for the campus are about $10,000-$25,000.
The legal limit for BAC(blood alcohol content) while driving is 0.08%. Drunk driving kills nearly 29 people a day- approximately one person every 50 minutes. In 2016 10,497 people died from alcohol related wrecks. 1,233 of those deaths were children under fourteen years old. Drunk driving is a huge cause of car wrecks but is easily avoidable. No one who has been drinking should get into the driver’s seat of a car until they are sober. Drunk driving is a terrible decision and is completely preventable.

1 Comment

One Response to “IU Drunk Driver”

1. Gabe Eurit on April 16th, 2018 8:24 am

Great article. This is almost unbelievable. It is crazy to thing a person would get drunk and drive his truck through campus and put peoples lives in danger. It is a good thing that most of the students were gone for break.

*

• IU Drunk Driver

Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

• Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Honors Parkland Victims

• IU Drunk Driver

Courier Top News Stories

Walk Up Not Out

• IU Drunk Driver

Courier Top News Stories

Marching Kings Receive Recognition

• IU Drunk Driver

Courier Top News Stories

Firefighter Training Class

• Courier Top News Stories

Poor Johns is BACK

• IU Drunk Driver

Courier Top News Stories

Kings’ Cast Becomes Daily

• IU Drunk Driver

Courier Top News Stories

State Champions at Last

• Courier Top News Stories

Kings Take On America

• IU Drunk Driver

Courier Top News Stories

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

IU Drunk Driver