Filed under Student Life

Now Hiring

Now Hiring

High school comes with a lot of firsts. Some of those may include first dance, first boyfriend/girlfriend, first car, and even a first job. The first job is definitely a big one. Teens try to get jobs for a lot of different reasons. These reasons can range from paying for a person’s gas to wanting money to hang out with friends. My first job experience has been nothing short of exhilarating.

I had been thinking about getting a job for awhile. I applied at a lot of different places online over the winter, and only one company ever got back to me. Sadly, I did not get the job. Crew Carwash is pretty strict. I kept applying to one place after another hoping to have one set in place by the time I could drive. Nobody ever contacted me and I was left sort of dumbfounded as to why nothing seemed to be working. I soon realized that even though technology can help advance the application process, it may not also be the best way to get hired the fastest.

The best way to get hired the fastest is to, believe it or not, go around and submit applications in person. When a person puts in applications online, the managers really don’t know what they’re expecting. They just view that person as their resume and don’t really see what they are like. When you submit and application in person, the managers are able to match an application to a face and recognize who they are hiring. They can subconsciously receive signals from the persons speaking ability and body language.

After figuring this out, I started out just applying to place after place. Honestly, I was just ready to work for the first company that said that they would hire me. I walked into Charley’s Philly Steaks on Monday, March 12. They were urgently hiring and really needed people to work. I put in an application and was starting training by Wednesday. It is a pretty good fit for me because I picked up the instructions quickly and not a lot of people work at once so it really helps me out with names. I have made some friends pretty quickly with kids from Northwestern and Western that have worked there for multiple months. I can’t really say that I have much experience since I have only worked with the fries and the assembly of the sandwiches. I start grilling tonight and memorizing the menu has been nothing short of irritating.

All in all these first couple days have been a pretty good experience. I have enjoyed working with the people at Charley’s and am looking forward to what I think will be a fun first time working experience.

3 Responses to “Now Hiring”

1. Caleb Johnson on March 23rd, 2018 1:01 pm

Good job explaining your first job. I’ve been working for a while and it get better after a while but it definitely is fun. Its a great way to make new friends and even make some cash while doing so. Great Article!

2. Zach Fields on April 10th, 2018 11:24 am

I think having a job is important. It teaches you values and also puts less stress on your parents financially. I like how you didn’t get discouraged by not getting the job at “Crew Carwash.” I hope you keep enjoying “Charley’s.” Great article Kaleb!

3. Josie Woolever on April 20th, 2018 12:50 pm

I can definitely relate to this. I too went through the struggles of job searching this winter, and I agree that filling out applications online doesn’t have the same effect that going in and getting an application does.

*

• Now Hiring

One Last Go Around

• Now Hiring

My Workplace

• Now Hiring

Dog Tags

• Now Hiring

Christmas Concert

• Now Hiring

SADD Farewell

• Now Hiring

A thousand miles strong

• Student Life

A Busy Version of Thanksgiving

• Now Hiring

Experiencing the first “Flawless” event!

• Now Hiring

ICYC With a Plot Twist

• Now Hiring

Drunk Drivers and the Pain They Cause

Now Hiring