The Story of Julie Byrd

Have you ever felt as if everything is moving so fast that there is no time to stop and relax? I’m only a sophomore in high school, and I feel as if everyone is already pushing me to pick what college I am wanting to attend. My mind is running, and I am just not sure what college I want to attend. I am keeping all my options open; I love hearing about what each college offers. Recently Julie Byrd, from Ivy Tech, came to talk to the class about what Ivy Tech has to offer and shared her experiences.

Julie Byrd graduated from high school and got married right away to Steve Byrd. They decided to have three kids. She told our class that she does not recommend getting married straight out of high school. She now thinks it is better to get your education first. After her family was settled, Julie decided to go to college to get a good paying job.

Julie Byrd went to school for six years. She started at Ivy Tech in 2005. Ivy Tech is where she graduated, and then she worked in Information Technology  industry for about 15 years. Julie Byrd said, “I worked mostly at Memorial Hospital in Logansport as I.T. Director.” After receiving her bachelor’s degree from Ivy Tech, she went to Ball State to receive her master’s degree. Her current job now is Program Chair of Software Development.

Julie and Jovita ,another member at Ivy Tech, came to talk to our class about the ASAP program at Ivy Tech. This is a program that will only except 24 students a year. ASAP allows a student to receive their associate’s degree in as little as 11 months. These students get their own room, and the teachers come to them instead of the students switching classes. This program is not only fast, but it is cheap. For only $6,000 a student can receive their associate’s degree. It is a great opportunity and hopes to extend this program if it continues to be a success.This will be the third year of the program.

Hearing about her experience and the new programs that are arriving opened my eyes to more options. I started to think maybe it isn’t a bad thing that people are starting to push me to decide where I would like to attend college. I can start applying for scholarships now and looking into the future so that I am not so stressed when I get there. Stay open-minded and remember that your education is very important. The opportunities are endless.

4 Responses to “The Story of Julie Byrd”

1. Caleb Johnson on April 11th, 2018 12:58 pm

I liked how you described her story right out of high school. You also talked about how she came into our class and talked about the ASAP program. She seems like a very nice person, and especially smart that she went to school for six years. Great Article!

2. Bodie St.Clair on April 11th, 2018 12:59 pm

Great article McKayla. I enjoyed Julie Byrd coming in and talking to us about Ivy Tech and college in general. I really liked how you described all of what Julie talked to us about. Great job!

3. Kelsey Wise on April 12th, 2018 8:25 am

Stressing over college is normal and you did a fine job of explaining your interests in college. Really great job explaining the ASAP program, lots of people are interested in that and I am glad that this visit from Julie Byrd gave you some insight of more options. Great article!

4. Brannyn Spencer on April 16th, 2018 6:59 pm

I really like how you explained how you are feeling right now as a high schooler. I personally am feeling the same way. Having Julie and Jovita come talk to our class was kind of a wake up call. I also like how you included Julie’s background. Great Article McKayla!

*

• The Story of Julie Byrd

Alexander for County Council

• The Story of Julie Byrd

Noodle Arms

• The Story of Julie Byrd

Prom Stress

• The Story of Julie Byrd

“The Fish of a Million Casts”

• Courier Top First Person Feature

What I Am Going To Miss The Most

• The Story of Julie Byrd

Words of Advice From a Senior

• The Story of Julie Byrd

Swimming With Stingrays

• The Story of Julie Byrd

Why go to Rotary?

• The Story of Julie Byrd

Weekend at Wabash

• The Story of Julie Byrd

All Hail Purdue!

The Story of Julie Byrd