Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

As years go by many things are bound to change. With all the new advances in technology, people change things to keep up with how society is rolling. Lewis Cass Schools happen to be one of those things that is changing only for the betterment of the students, faculty, and community. Myself along with two other Kings’ Courier journalists took a tour with Dr. Garland, Lewis Cass Superintendent, to find out all the plans for the new changes being made.

One of the biggest annexes to the school happens to be the new gymnasium being built on the south side of the building. The gym has not only a main court but two side courts with a drop down net in the middle to allow two games to go on at one time. The gym will have bleachers on the east side that has a capacity of 700 people. The gym will also consist of a one lane track around the court, drop down wrestling mats, and a drop down batting cage.

By adding on this exciting new addition, the school will be allowed to utilize the old junior gym as a new and improved weight room. This weight room will have the second largest square footage in the state of Indiana. Even though we have outstanding equipment from the old weight room, we will be adding on more benches, more squat racks, a running strip in the middle, and other new machines that we do not already have. The weight room as well as the rest of the school will have new water fountains and even a water bottle fountain for each water station. This whole process is merely a chain reaction. With the new gym being built, the weight facility is now able to move to a larger, more confined area. Now, the old weight room will be given to the wrestling squad to have their own room.

Coach Burrous, high school boys wrestling coach, mentioned that the new area set aside for wrestling only will save time. “People don’t realize how much time we spend rolling and unrolling our mats for home basketball games,” said Burrous. He also is looking forward to the new room due to the having a more efficient way of running activities.. He said, “We will have more flexibility in running  our elementary and club wrestling programs since we won’t have to work around any other sports’ schedules.

Coach Burkett, high school boys basketball coach, said, “I believe the new gym will be a huge asset, not only for the basketball program, but for all sports teams within Lewis Cass Schools. Many schools are trying to find ways to entice kids to attend their school and I think this can only help us here at Lewis Cass.” Burkett thinks this gym will help for junior high and high school basketball when scheduling practices, games, and summer camps for younger kids. “It is something we can be proud of and will hopefully give our athletic programs an edge,” said Burkett.

The next big change being made at the high school happens to be the Student Commons/media center area and the offices. The commons area will be placed where the offices sit now. The space may not seem that big now due to all the walls, but when all the walls are knocked out, the area is about as big as the library. The commons area will be open before and after school for students to relax, study, and check out books as well. The school is trying to emphasize a college-look with new commons area. The offices will be placed where the library used to be. The whole north wall will be replaced with windows to allow natural light to flow into the offices. Refer to Office Plans to see the layout of all the offices, meeting rooms, and the student commons area. The main entrance will be placed next to the office to make coming into the building more efficient. The same thing will happen with Lewis Cass Elementary. The office will be placed on the outside of the building instead of in the cramped, middle area.

Lewis Cass will also be adding Lewis Cass Polytechnic Academy, a career preparation area, that has multiple manufacturing courses available to the students at Cass as well as other area schools. The academy has a professional manufacturing look to it due to the wide doors, tileless ceilings, and LED lighting. The academy will offer courses relating to Advanced manufacturing, Engineering/Stem, and Agriculture.  

Dr. Garland happens to be ecstatic about the changes going on. He commented, “At Lewis Cass our students, staff and community deserve the best and we are taking great strides to meet that expectation. The new construction, increasing academic rigor, improving school safety and improving school wellness / fitness proves Lewis Cass Schools is dedicated and serious about our student’s future and moving to the next level. It is great to be a KING….”

I only wish I could be here to utilize all the new, exciting changes especially the Polytechnic Academy. Senior Hayden Vest felt same way. He said, “You know, I think it is good to constantly improve the school in whichever area they happen to choose. Progress is key to a bright future for our school corporation. I am excited to see what these projects will look like when finished.”

9 Responses to “Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements”

1. McKayla Ramsey on April 23rd, 2018 9:42 pm

All of the new additions seem to be very exciting and great additions to Lewis Cass. It’s sad that we won’t be around to see it all but all future students of Lewis Cass will benefit from all the new upgrades. I like how you put so many specific details about the construction. You did your research well, great article!

2. kkitchel23 on April 24th, 2018 8:23 am

Although I won’t be here to enjoy the new additions to Lewis Cass, I am very pleased with the way things are coming along. You did a great job walking us through all of the construction that Cass is undergoing. Great article!

3. Caleb Johnson on April 24th, 2018 1:13 pm

I can only imagine what Lewis Cass will look like by this time next year. It seems there are numerous changes to the school and even some new additions being added on. I like how you described what the new gym will have and how our weight room is being remodeled. Great Story Brady!

4. Mack Appleton on April 24th, 2018 2:31 pm

Great article Brady. It is nice to hear about all of the improvements that will be made to the school since I we will not be here to see them. I like how you included all the new things that will be going into the new and old areas. The quotes from students and faculty were nice to see the different viewpoints about the changes.

5. Drew Cornell on April 25th, 2018 11:53 am

Nice article, Brady. I am sad that I will graduate before all of the improvements, but I still like to see the school progress. I think the new office will be a great addition ascetically and for security. The school has already changed quite a lot with just the carpet, so I imagine it will look vastly different after all of the improvements. Nice Job!

6. Hayden Vest on April 25th, 2018 1:49 pm

This is a really great article Brady! It was awesome to get to see all the improvements happening around the corporation. It’s a shame that we won’t be in school for it, but our children will be able to use all of these improvements.

7. Gabe Eurit on April 26th, 2018 10:22 am

Great article Brady. It was interesting to read on these new improvements Lewis Cass will be making. I thought it was cool how you mentioned that the school is going for a “college look”. Hopefully I am still in school by the time these things are completed.

8. D. Collins on May 7th, 2018 8:23 am

It sounds like the new additions to the school will be great. I like how you gave the coaches prospectives on the new additions. Great article!

9. klewe90 on May 7th, 2018 1:12 pm

I’m excited to see how these updates take affect on the school. I’m probably most excited for the new gym.I really like how you described every part of the new updates. You also did a nice job of highlighting Dr. Garland’s outlook on it. Great job!

*

• Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

Courier Top News Stories

IU Drunk Driver

• Courier Top News Stories

Lewis Cass Honors Parkland Victims

• Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

Courier Top News Stories

Walk Up Not Out

• Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

Courier Top News Stories

Marching Kings Receive Recognition

• Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

Courier Top News Stories

Firefighter Training Class

• Courier Top News Stories

Poor Johns is BACK

• Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

Courier Top News Stories

Kings’ Cast Becomes Daily

• Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

Courier Top News Stories

State Champions at Last

• Courier Top News Stories

Kings Take On America

• Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements

Courier Top News Stories

Mr. Bonnell: District 4 Middle School Principal of the Year

Lewis Cass Schools’ Improvements