Filed under Student Life

Alexander for County Council

“Vote for Bryan Alexander for Howard County Council” came out of my mouth at least 100 times on Tuesday, election day. My job was to advertise Alexander as much as possible. Alexander had asked me and eleven other students to hand out flyers the day of his election. I said yes right away knowing it would get me out of school. When I heard we had to be at our advertising location at 6 a.m.I was already tired at the thought of it.

Alexander split us into three groups putting four students at each location. With me was Kaleb Lewellen, Carl Jay, and Brooklynn Fye, and we were located at Northwestern High School. With the cold air and Carl being an hour late, our morning did not start off the best. We were all slap happy and were laughing at almost everything due to our tiredness. At first, the polls were slow, so it was just a waiting game.

Once the sunshine came out and it became closer to noon, the process picked up. The sun was almost scorching; I could feel my skin cooking like bacon. By this time the boys had left about two or three times leaving the girls to die in the sun. Well, I guess that’s being dramatic, but it felt as if I were frying. We watched people walk in and out all day, sounds great right? Maybe not, but talking to all the voters made it very interesting. One voter told us he had been through the Holocaust three times. The same person also asked if we knew the three greatest questions in the world. None of us did, but you better bet that he told us them. As he goes on to explain they are where did you come from, what is your purpose, and where are you going to end upt? It finally clicked with us that this guy was preaching to us. He went on talking for a few more minutes and we all just nodded our heads and went along with it.  Other voters asked if we were Alexanders’ kids. We were all like no, no, and no. Alexander’s opponent was at Northwestern all day with us. We joked with him and he joked back. I think he enjoyed meeting us even though we worked against him.

None of us understood what a county council even does, so Alexander had to explain it. The only thing I got out of it was it has to do with managing tax rates helping you save money, hopefully. We asked Alexander what his drive was for running for this position. He replied, “I saw an opportunity to use my knowledge to help out the county and I took it.” We also were all shocked that he used Bryan Alexander on his campaign because his real name is George. He said, “No one knows me as George, and they would all think it was my dad running instead of me.” If you didn’t get the clue, his dad’s name is also George.

As the polls wrapped up and we all went home, we just wanted to know who won the election. Alexander said he would text all the students that helped him the results right away. At this point, we weren’t just in it for the extra credit; we really wanted him to win. We waited until around 7:45 pm to find out. Steven Jones, his opponent, with 960 votes, and Alexander with 1,091, he had won the election. We were all very excited and hope that he wins the second election that will be held in the fall.

2 Responses to “Alexander for County Council”

1. Caleb Johnson on May 11th, 2018 12:58 pm

Nice story. I liked how you described your morning and afternoon to the T! I thought it was cool how you described some of the people you met too. I am also pretty burnt, and I feel your pain. Great Story!

2. Bodie St.Clair on May 14th, 2018 12:55 pm

Nice job. I really liked how you talked about all of the things that happened throughout your day. We also had a lot of interesting things happen at out location. Really great job McKayla!

*

• Alexander for County Council

Getting Shot With My Own Fear

• Student Life

Growing Up

• Alexander for County Council

And Then They Said “I Do”

• Student Life

High Heels to Toes Up

• Alexander for County Council

Collected Memories From Home

• Alexander for County Council

Cherished Memories

• Alexander for County Council

Changing over time

• Student Life

Saying Goodbye to an Inspirtationalist

• Alexander for County Council

October 2018 Playlist

• Alexander for County Council

Homecoming Week Video

Alexander for County Council