Filed under Student Life

Michaela Pullen loves being an RA at Ball State

So what is an RA? An RA is a resident advisor. Some of you may know her, but Michaela Pullen, our own alumnus, is an RA at Ball State University.

Her freshman year, half way through, she decided that she wanted to be a room advisor. She wanted to grow as a leader on the Ball State campus and thought it would be a great way to get more involved. She took necessary classes and applied at the end of her first semester. In her spring semester she had to have an interview. Michaela disappointed after hearing she was going to be put on a waiting list, but luckily she was offered a position at an old hall in Lafollette Complex.

Michaela prepared for her interview by first meeting with her residential advisor to ask questions about the job. She wanted to make sure being an RA was what she wanted to do for sure. To be 100% prepared she attended a practice interview that was offered at Ball State through the career center. She was given interview tips and tricks that would help her with any interview she could have in the future. The interview process is actually two different interviews. The first one is more of a get-to-know-you interview and that interview included two Hall Directors and a handful of RAs. Once selected from the first interview she received a second interview with all Hall Directors.
At the interview they asked Michaela many questions. Some questions were based on who she was as a person, how well she worked on a team, how she “handles stress and how she functions as a leader.” Some basic questions about the overall point of an RA is to ensure that the applicant knows what the job is all about. The other part of the interview is more in-depth questions about what kind of RA she thought she would be. “They asked about program ideas, diversity initiatives, and how she would approach a resident who seems to be having a hard time adjusting.”

Some of her perks from Ball State include free room and board including a 21 meal plan and a stipend salary of $1,500 throughout the year. Some personal perks involve helping freshman with the big change of attending college. She loves how much being an RA helped her grow and become a better person, leader, and a friend to many. Even though there are many perks of her job, there are also some negatives. Being an RA is a 24/7 job so she does not get much free time. She said at first it really took a toll on her life but she soon learned how to have work and life balanced.

Michaela has also done things not every RA would do. She has helped her residents through some of the hardest things in life someone could experience. “I have been a shoulder to cry on, a hug, and a support for her residents in their times of need.” She has also has discussions about diversity and what it means to include people of any kind. Michaela has helped some students of Ball State explore their interest and help choose a major. She has even helped some change their major.

Pullen has had a full year as an RA and is looking forward to doing it next year. “I have organized and facilitated full social, academic, and outreach programs for my entire building,” says Pullen.

1 Comment

One Response to “Michaela Pullen loves being an RA at Ball State”

1. Olivia Salyers on May 15th, 2018 5:13 pm

That’s awesome that you interviewed her. I have never thought of being an RA and I’m not sure it’s for me, but I could see how it would be a lot of work! That’s also awesome that she got a picture with David Letterman. Great article!

*

• Michaela Pullen loves being an RA at Ball State

Living in the Moment

Sports

IU Spirit Day

A Slideshow that Left Everyone in Tears

Upcoming Events

Moving Up In The Fencing Ladder

Saddle Up and Ride a Bronc

Depression is real?

A Memory to Cherish Forever

I want sports in my life

Why I miss my Sister